Wednesday 26 November 2014

Vegan Dry Fruit Scones - 4 ingredient recipe


Scones are just Classic British. Growing up in India, whenever you read a book you would read about these wonderful treats. Though you get many things not commonly made in Indian home at some shops, Scones evaded us. When I realized how easy it is to make one, I had to try my hand at making some. Though I have made them with milk and eggs, I like this version a lot cause I can enjoy it too.



The key to a good scone is not to overwork the dough. Once you know what you are doing, you can do wonders with this simple recipe. I have made this with some dried fruits. I chose to cut them with cookie cutters. You can also just cut them into triangles. These scones are very mildly sweetened. We ate them with some jam on top. But if you like them sweet, please feel free to add some more sugar.
Recipe Source


Ingredients

Self Raising Flour 260 gms (2 cups)
Sugar 2 tbsp
Coconut Milk 1 cup (the original recipe called for 1.5 cups, I found it way too much)
Mixed Dry Fruits 100 gms (about 1/2 cup)

Method of Preparation

1. Add the flour, sugar and dry fruits to a bowl. Mix well. If you do not have self raising flour, just add two teaspoons of baking powder to each cup of plain flour.

2. Add the coconut milk and mix well.

3. Tip into a floured counter and knead by folding. Do not over work the flour. Add a little extra flour if needed to get a moist, non sticky, non dry dough.

4. Spread the dough using a rolling pin. Cut out circles. You can reroll the left over dough and cut agian. You will get about 8 medium sized scones out of this.

5. Layer them on a parchment lined baking tray.

6. Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F).

7. Brush the top with some coconut milk, dust with some sugar.

8. Bake for about 17-18 min till the top is browned. 

5 comments:

  1. Thats a wonderful recipe Roshni! I love the subtle taste of coconut milk in my bakes. And if these scones come out soft and crumbly, I guess that will be the best I have ever baked. Bookmarking this one, will try this X-mas for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful recipe!!! I have been wanting to try scones but the amount of butter puts me off... bookmarking this for breakfast for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roshni the scones look perfect. I love scones especially with whipped cream and jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. o my goodness such a beautiful looking scones :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ve always wanted to make scones but shy away because of the butter involved. I guess i ll make some now that i have this version

    ReplyDelete