Friday 24 August 2012

Oats Idli

Oats are quite popular in our house. We eat it as a porridge and we all love it. Making savoury with oats was not a popular thing in our house. I somehow convinced my husband a few weeks ago for a Magic Mingle event and made Oats Pongal. Though it is a popular dish in the internet, it was not a hit in our family.

When I saw Radhika post the recipe for Oats Idli, I was attracted to it from the click. She described it as a family favourite. I told my husband it is a sure hit. He was not too sure. He asked me "Are you sure she said it was a hit and not that she got hit". But I trust Radhika completely. Never failed with any of her recipes. So I made it.

I am soooo glad I tried it. We all loved it sooo much. Even made some mini idlis for my little one with it. This recipe is a keeper.



Indredients (Makes about 20 idlis)

Oats 2 cups
Rava/Semolina 1 cup
Yogurt 1 cup
Water 1.5 cups
Eno Fruit Salt 1 tsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Hing a little
Grated carrots 4
Oil and Salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Heat a pan and toast the oats for a couple of minutes. Cool and powder it.

2. In the same pan, heat a little oil. Add mustard.

3, When it sputters, add urad dal and channa dal. When it browns, add carrots and saute for a couple of minutes. You can optionally add some green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves. I did not today.

4. Add the rava and saute for 2 more minutes.

5. Add to a bowl. Add the oats and salt. Mix well.

6. Add yogurt and required water and mix to form a batter.

7. Grease the idli moulds. Add fruit salt to the batter. Mix and pour to the moulds.

8. Steam for about 15 minutes (after the steam starts coming from the cooker). Take out and cool for a couple of minutes.

Serve with chutney.

19 comments:

  1. very spongy idli.. lovely clicks roshni..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oats idli looks great .. How does it taste when cold? Does it get too dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sasi - not really, but can't be very sure... it was a bit too soft when it came out of the cooker. that's y it needs a couple of minutes of cooling. it was ok for an hour. it did not last more than that... so not sure if it will be ok after a few hours..

      Delete
    2. It will not get that dry like the usual ones but will only be cold. You can always warm up it up in the oven.

      Delete
  3. LOL on your Hubby's comment Roshni. Luckily so far I have never been hit and let me hope it stays that way in future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soft and spongy idlis...they look very appetizing Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  5. healthy and nice idlis........

    http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol at your husband's comment, oats idlis are awlays welcome at our home,we love it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they're as good looking as Radhi's! perhaps its time for me to try oats too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soft and healthy Idlis..

    Inviting you to join Onam Sadhya~Grand Feast


    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect looking idlis, I make it the same way and add some coconut :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this oats idly for today's dinner.. It came out very well.. thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya, Glad you liked the idli. And thanks for stopping by to let me know.. hope you try other stuff from my space. enjoy

      Delete
  11. Can baking soda be substituted with for Eno. If yes, how much. Also is the 2 cups oats is before grinding?

    ReplyDelete