Wednesday 13 November 2013

Nimish - A Rich Creamy Dessert!

Awadhi Cuisine originates from Lucknow in the Northern India. It is the cuisine of the Nawabs and hence rich in its variety and taste. Popular dishes from this cuisine include Biriyani and Kebabs. The Nawabs brought chefs from as far as Persia to cook in the royal kitchens and so you will see a lot of Middle Eastern influence in this Cuisine.



Coming to today's recipe, I wanted to make something from Awadhi Cuisine for our group Avant garde Cookies. The first thing that came to my mind was to make Kebabs. Its been in my list for way too long. But then I happened to see Rick Stein's show on India. If you have not seen it, do check it out. It gives you a perspective of India that you would never have got before. The recipes featured, the restaurants visited, the cultural aspects - mind blowing.



Nimish is made during the cold months. It has an interesting method of preparation. Early morning dew is collected on a sheet spread outside and it is collected and mixed into cream. Well, I would one day like to see how they do that. For now, I did not bother collecting dew of any kind. Just simple Nimish. It makes an Awesome Royal Dessert!

Though I stuck to the original recipe, next time I might try some more flavouring like Chocolate or Mango to it to add more depth of flavours!

Ingredients (makes 4 generous servings)

Double Cream (Heavy Whipping Cream) 300 ml
Powdered Sugar 50gms
Rose Water 1 tsp
Saffron a generous pinch
Milk 80ml (1/3 cup)
Pistachio to garnish

Method of Preparation

1. Warm the milk and add saffron to it. Let it sit till the colour is infused into the milk. Mine was actually not a good saffron, so though I get the taste it does not impart great colour. Hence my Nimish is white instead of the pale yellow it should be :-) Let this mix cool down.

2. Whip the cold double cream till you get a whipped cream consistency.

3. Fold in the milk, sugar and rose water.

4. Transfer to serving cups. I was able to fill 4 medium size ramekins.

5. Cover and cool in the fridge for a few hours.

6. Chop some Pistachio Nuts and sprinkle on top before serving. 

5 comments:

  1. looks really rich and creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so easy and so creamy... should try this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this and it is one of the best desserts I have ever had. Mine went yellow and I added mango (due to your suggestion). Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete