Thursday 19 January 2012

Dil Khush - 100th post

I am so excited today. Today marks the 75th day of my blogging. And I am happy to present to you my 100th post. It was a fun journey so far. Many of my friends have given me feedback that they love seeing what i have posted and trying it out at home. I have made so many new friends in the blogging world. And have learnt quite  a few new recipes. I rarely repeat any dishes these days at home.

I was not sure if I was going to make anything special for this post. Many of you might have read my story about how I tried to bake something. If not, check the link. It is quite funny. I tried making something again a couple of days ago and it was ok. But not blog worthy. One of my friends advised me to start with a sponge cake and nothing too complicated. Seems like a sensible idea. Might do that. I will be a little busy for the next 2 months. So you may not see many posts from me. I will surely try and do some baking may be in April or May.

Anyways, with the fear of oven, I did not want to make anything in it. But when I saw 2 bloggers Julie and Smita make Dil Khush this week, I was drooling. Though it says in the internet that it is famous in Kerala, I have never tasted Dil Khush in Kerala. My only time eating it was at an aunt's place in Chennai, a distant relative of ours when I was little. My cousin went out and got all of us this warm bread based dessert from a bakery. Though I do not remember it too well, it lingered in the back of my mind. I am sure it looked a lot like how Julie has made it.

Now, as you know, I will not bake now. At least not another adventure. So I decided to make it with pastry sheets, keeping the filling the same. As luck would have it, I was buying pastry sheets in UK for the first time and came home with Filo sheets instead. They looked the same in the cover for me. When I got home, it was not what i expected to see. But I decided not to be deterred by it.

Now off to the recipe



Ingredients (Makes 4 pieces)

Filo Sheets 2
Coconut 1/4 cup
Fruit Mix (i used a mix of raisins, currants, orange peal, lemon peal etc - a dry fruit pack I got in store). Ideally it should be tutti fruity. 1/4 cup
Almonds 1 tsp
Cashews 1 tbsp
Sugar 2 tbsp
Butter melted 2 tbsp for brushing

Method of Preparation

1. Mix together the coconut, dry fruit mix, almonds, cashews and sugar in a bowl and keep aside.

2. Pre heat the oven to 175C/350F.

3. Cut each sheet into half and add 2 tbsp of the above mix. Fold into rectangles like a puffs. If it were pastry puffs, I would have just folded and sealed the edges.

4. Set into on a baking tray. Spread a little butter on the top with a pastry brush

5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes till it is golden on the top.

Cool and serve. I was so excited yesterday when my husband came home, tasted it and said it was too good. We all really enjoyed it. Dil Khush!!!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats thats a grt achievement.. and very yummy looking fruitty dish..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Roshni,wishing more and more milestone like this..Omg, wat a stunning and super tempting dil khush, looks absolutely divine..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Roshni. I could feel across your enthusiasm. last click is just toooo much. Feel like making a grab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats dear.......yummy snack..luvd ur twist.... will try it......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratzzzz dear!!!!!
    Such an irresistable snack!!!!!
    Bookmarked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Roshni..Very short span to reach 100 posts,great work!!
    dilkhush looks lovely..

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked ur sweet version of this rolls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your first century and wish u many more such milestones...Dilkush looks so tempting, great clicks dear!!
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event ~ Dish It Out-Brinjal n Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  9. 75 days of blogging and already reached 100 posts! That's really good! It took me a year to reach my 100th post :( Wishing you many more such milestones.
    A sweet to celebrate the ocassion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so tempting! Congrats on completing 100 posts in 75 days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roshni, Congratulations & very glad you are here!!! Wishing you many more milestones to come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dilkush looks so tempting, great clicks dear!!loved it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Roshni
    Luvd ur snack...A shud try recipe...
    Plz visit my blog http://fabusrelish.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete