Saturday 16 November 2013

Beetroot Thoran - Beetroot Stir Fried with Coconut and Spices

Thoran (poriyal) is a side dish that is very popular in Southern India. It is prepared with a variety of vegetables like Cabbage, Beans, Carrots or sometimes even a combination of those. No festive meal is complete without this humble Thoran.



When I signed up for VVP (Virtual Vegan Potluck) I knew I wanted to make a dish that would showcase my native place. The key ingredient of this Potluck is Beets. I have prepared a variety of dishes with Beetroot. I have a couple more that are coming soon. So you get the idea, we love this humble vegetable a lot.

Beetroot Masala (british style beetroot curry)
Beetroot Stir fry
Beetroot Kichadi (Raita)
Beetroot Kootu

Ingredients

Beetroots 4
Onion 1
Coconut 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Green Chilli 1

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Finely chop the onions and beetroot.

2. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, turmeric powder and curry leaves.

3. When it sizzles, add the onions.

4. Saute till it is slightly browned.

5. Add the beetroot and saute till it is cooked. Do not add any water.

6. Pulse the coconut and green chilli in a food processor. Add to the beets along with some salt.

7. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 min.

Serve with some rice!

This Potluck is a linkup of more than a 100 recipes (Yes, All Vegan and Oh, yes All Super Tasty). I am off to check out all the recipes.. Why don't you join me? If you want to start at the beginning of the chain, click here and check out the details of the Potluck here!

               

17 comments:

  1. Beetroot thoran is one of my favourite Kerala dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how simple and delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm…looks so pretty and tasty! Thank you so much for joining the Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! (As does your Beetroot Masala!) I bet the coconut adds a nice texture to the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I will eat anything with coconut and curry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I looooove beetroot palya/poriyal. This looks yum, Roshni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I love beets and can't wait to try this (and all of your recipes) to learn how to make new cuisines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like the perfect accompaniment to well...anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely and sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good! A group at my workplace celebrated Diwali the past couple of years and had lunch catered. The food was amazing but I need to work on my spice tolerance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beet and coconut sounds like pure. heaven! This has to be not only delicious but gorgeous. Really looking forward to doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious!! Your other recipes look wonderful, too. I will have to come back when I am not so full. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! I am so excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds really yummy, perfect side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when I see another great mind that thinks like mine! I can't wait to peruse the rest of your website. Looks like a lot of tasty dishes!

    ReplyDelete