Tuesday 4 September 2012

Inji Kari - Puli Inji

Inji Kari or Puli Inji can be translated as Ginger Pickle. It is basically ginger and green chillies roasted well and then cooked in a tamarind and jaggery sauce.

It is a must in any Kerala feast. If I have to pick one dish out of the 15 or so that I made for Onam, I think I will pick this one. I have not made it since last Onam and am so surprised that I have not. The batch that I made was over the same day. Now I have to make a bigger batch this time.

Ginger has amazing digestive properties. So comes handy when eating a heavy meal.



Ingredients

Ginger finely chopped 1 cup
Green Chillies 2 chopped
Curry Leaves few
Tamarind Paste 2 tsp
Jaggery 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 1/4 tsp
Hing a 1/4 tsp

Sesame Oil 1/4 cup

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan. I recommend a non stick pan. Add the mustard. When it sputters, add fenugreek seeds. When it starts to brown, add the curry leaves.

2. Add the ginger and green chillies. In a medium flame saute till it browns a little. Keep aside.

3. In another pan, heat tamarind paste and 2 cups of water. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and hing. Bring to a boil.

4. Add the ginger to this. Boil for a few minutes.

5. Now add the jaggery and cook till it all comes together and most of the water is drained. Some people keep it watery. I like mine a little bit on the drier side.

Store in an airtight container.



Linking this to Onam Special @ Sharan's Samayalarai



12 comments:

  1. i too made recently. we loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp,mouthwatering here, droolinggg..

    ReplyDelete
  3. mouth watering pickle...simply love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love this dish. My SIL's mom is an expert at making this, as you said hers is slightly more liquidy. Your puli inji looks mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to taste right now...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mouth is watering by seeing your clicks....superb. I too made it recently and it was also finished on the same day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finger licking recipe...luks Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah !! mouth watering recipe.. Thanks for linking this to my event... Please do add the event-logo.. Expecting more recipes from you :)

    Inviting you to join my on-going events :-

    Onam Sadhya Grand Feast

    Vinayagar Chathurthi Event

    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Check your email and add the logo dear..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks tasty - how long will this keep in the jar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If refrigetarated, you can store for a week.. not sure about longer time. it always get over in a day or 2 at our place :-)

      Delete