Friday 8 November 2013

Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa - Vegan



Chili Con Carne or Chili as it is popularly known as is made of beef and spicy peppers in a tomato sauce. Ofcourse, being a Vegetarian means that I have to adapt this recipe to fit our dietary needs. Usual substitution for any mexican style beef or chicken based dish is beans. So it is no surprise that this version has some in it. Black beans would have been great along with kidney beans. But I could not find any, so settled for just kidney beans. Now for an interesting twist. Saw this recipe and knew I would love it. She had used Quinoa in the Chili. We are big fans of Quinoa at home ever since we first ate it and I always stock it in my pantry.



Vegetarian Chili had been in my list for a long long time. A few years ago, when I was pregnant with my little one, I had to travel on business. I already have a lot of dietary restrictions and add the morning sickness to it and it was a scary trip. On the top of that, it was a meeting at a client location and we went to Philadelphia. I somehow wanted to skip lunch and not be embarrassed in front of the client. But somehow got pulled into the lunch. It was the best lunch I had ever eaten and yes, you guessed it right. I did eat a Veggie Chilli  there and it was just out of the world.

You can serve this as a meal or like a soup with some bread or eat it with some Tortilla Chips!



Can I tempt you with some??



Ingredients

Quinoa 1/2 cup cooked with 2 cups of water
Onion 1
Garlic 4 pods
Tomato 1 can
Tomato Puree 100gms
Green Pepper 1
Big Green Chilli (JalapeƱo) 1
Big Red Chilli 1
Water 2 cups (or as required)
Cocoa Powder 1 tsp
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Salt 1-2 tsp (or as required)
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Frozen Sweet Corn (thawed) 1 cup
Kidney Beans 1 can
Juice of Lemon 1/2
Coriander leaved a handful

Method of preparation

1. Heat a little oil in a pot. Add onions and saute for a few minutes.

2. Add chopped garlic and saute for another minute.

3. Add peppers and chillies (finely chopped) and saute till it starts to cook.

4. Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes. Add the cocoa powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper salt and sugar along with water.

5. Bring to boil and then simmer till everything is cooked and the sauce thickens.

6. Cook the quinoa in a separate pan. Add it to the simmering stew.

7. Finally add the corn, beans, coriander leaves and lime juice. Mix erevything together and simmer till it is all heated through.

This post is for the Palooza (AnuRadhika and Me) Theme this month. We will be making some awesome soups to suit the season.

4 comments:

  1. looks so yummy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks scrumptious Roshni. But am i right it reading it as cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, look at the colour ofthe chilli,just cant resist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosh- made this today.. Finally sitting down with a bowl and tortilla to enjoy :-). I made a trip to TJ this evening to get every item on your list to make this. Came out well, couldn't give the kids as it was mildly spicy. Next one on my list is the tofu salad.I have to make another trip to get all the items. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete