Monday 14 November 2011

Vegetable Maggi

Maggi for some of you might just be a easy to prepare go to dish on a lazy day. I share a love for it that I cannot put in words. Its not the taste of it. There is this whole process of eating it and the memories.

As kids we were not allowed to eat Maggi. My parents used to believe that it has far too many preservatives and processed food is not good for us. Try telling that to kids these days. We eat so much stuff that is far worse than a small packet of Maggi.

Anyways, as we grew older we started asking them to make an exception once in a while. My brother and I used to make it together. It was an event for us. We used to run to the nearby store (shiva dev bakery - which used to sell all bakery items and everything else under the sun) and get ourselves 2 packets of maggi. Then we used to make the maggi - just plain version by boiling water and adding all ingredients. My version was the drier one and my brother used to make it with a little soupy consistency.

Then comes the sharing part. 2 plates are ready to transfer the piping hot maggi. We used to compare and make sure we both got the exact same share, adjusting the portions to match. Then we start eating it. Half way thru, the sharing starts again. This time, it is a different kind of sharing. 'Do you want some of mine?? take it, i am ok'. We never finish a packet, but every time we go thru this process.

When Chandri and I got married, I realized that he also likes Maggi. I was surprised. He is one of those guys who loves freshly prepared stuff. Yet to find out why he likes it. I am guessing it is because of the vegetables that I sneak in.


Ingredients

Maggi 2 packets
Onion 1 big finely chopped
Mixed vegetables 3 cups. I heat my frozen vegetables in the microwave for 15 min.
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Oil
Salt

For Tempering
Musturd 1tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Clove 2
Star Anise 2
Cinnamon 1 inch stick
Saunf (perun jeerakam) 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Hing - little
finely chopped green chillies, ginger and curry leaves
cashews 10
channa dal 1 tsp


Method of Preparation

1. Heat 3 cups of water in a pot and add a tsp of oil to it. Bring it to boil. Add the maggi packets to it. and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain the water. Wash the maggi with a little cold water and keep. Make sure the maggi is ready only just before it is ready to be put in masala mix below. Otherwise it will be come quite dry.

2. In the meanwhile, heat oil in a Pan and add the musturd. When it sputters, add channa dal and cashews.

3. When it is slightly browned, add the Jeera, Clove, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Saunf

4. When it sizzles, add the cut green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, Turmeric Powder and Hing.

5. Saute for a few seconds and add the onions.

6. Once the onions are slightly browned, add the mixed vegetables, Maggi masala, chilli powder and salt and cook for some time. Garnish it with a bunch of chopped mint (I did not have any this time).

7. Add the Maggi prepared in Step 1 to this and stir well. Yummy Maggi is ready to be served

3 comments:

  1. I have the same kind of experience with my brother too, while growing up.Even my parents never bought that stuff.Iam doing the same with my kids. You are right exceptions are okay. Iam going try this out this weekend, its been a long time since I tried this way.
    Glad to have visited your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories of growing up are always so special...

    ReplyDelete
  3. its awesome................. today i m going to try this.................its good to visit to this blog.............thanx......

    ReplyDelete