Wednesday 15 August 2012

Barley Biriyani

We @ Avant Garde Cookies have chosen Secret Ingredient as the theme for this week. A partner gives you a secret ingredient and you have to make something with that ingredient. My partner for this week, Veena gave me Barley.

That was an interesting ingredient for me. I have seen some recipes using barley since I started blogging. It has never featured in our house. Not My kitchen, not my Mum's kitchen nor my MIL's kitchen. My only tryst with barley was when I was little and got Jaundice. I was given barley water a lot to drink. So I was a little skeptical. How am I supposed to cook something that I have never tasted. That is the whole challenge, right?

I am glad I got barley as the ingredient. It tasted soooo good...


Ingredients

Barley 1 cup
Onion 1
Tomato 1
Mixed Vegetables 3 cups
Bay leaf 1
Cardamom 1
Clove 2
Cumin 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Aachi Biriyani Masala 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak barley overnight. Pressure cook with 2.5 cups of water for about 4-5 whistles. Drain excess water if any and keep aside.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add channa dal and urad dal. When it starts to brown, add curry leaves, turmeric powder, cumin, cardamom, bay leaf, clove. Saute till it starts to sizzle.

3. Add chopped onions. Saute till it starts to brown.

4. Add tomatoes and cook till it is well done. 

5. Add Aachi biriyani masala and salt. My fav. It has a unique taste. you can use any biriyani masala or even substitute with garam masala. 

6. Add cooked vegetables. I used Frozen. So I just cooked in microwave for 10-15 minutes. 

7. Once it is all mixed well, add the barley and mix well.








Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriyaRadhikaVeena

Linking this to event Independence Day by Sharan

16 comments:

  1. Colorful combo... looks delicious... Thanks for sending your entry and following me.. Happy to follow you !!

    Keep dropping by.. wish to expect some more entries from you..


    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    www.vigsha.blogspot.com
    Ongoing event - http://vigsha.blogspot.com/2012/08/celebrating-independence-day-sharans.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very healthy, power packed biryani!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah true, i would be skeptical too if barley was my ingredient. But you have used it wonderfully. Delicious Biryani

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy biryani.. looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting looking biryani....

    http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colorful and healthy biryani. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow so colorful and healthy biryani..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow- this is a healthy n fun recipe- the last pic is especially inviting !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this unique yet healthy biriyani and the ingredient is in true style of Veena s

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs to you Roshni for rising up to the challenge. Very very innovative and I'm pretty sure I would have felt very hesitant to try out something like this in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. naaice Rosh!! So healthy too! I didn't know what Barley looked like! thanks for introducing it to me~! :D

    ReplyDelete