Wednesday 11 January 2012

Masala Peanuts

Masala Peanut post is very special to me cause I prepared this for Blog Hop Wednesday. This is an event that I have been looking forward to participate for the last 2 months. Thank you Radhika for including me in this event.

What is this Event? Every month you will be paired with a blogger from the Blog Hop group. On the second Wednesday of the month, you post a recipe prepared from that blogger's website. Check out the event announcement page for more details. I think it is a great way to network with other bloggers and find fabulous recipes.

This month I was paired with Vaishali of Ribbon's to Pasta's. She has such an amazing blog. I really had a hard time narrowing down on one recipe. Every recipe I looked, I was like - it has to be this. Then when I see the next one, I change my mind to that. She has a lot of Regional Sindhi recipes in her site and each one is so inviting. I was determined to make one of them. (and i will make atleast a few in the coming weeks) :-)

I used the Crunchy Cashews recipe in her site and substituted it with Peanuts. If you notice that recipe is blog hopping for some weeks now.



There are a few reasons why I picked this recipe. It is one of the favourites in our house. We specifically buy packets of this from Krishna Sweets in Chennai. And when we go to saravana bahavan in UK, we always grab some. During the holidays, we were at the restaurant and I noticed that the packet was so small and they charged a fortune for less than 1/2 cup of peanuts. I knew I had to try to make it at home. When I saw the recipe in Vaishali's site, I was so excited.

I cannot stress on the easiness of the preparation. It took me 2 minutes to prep it and it cooked for 5 minutes in the microwave. How much easier can it be??

Plus it is cooked in Microwave with very little oil. So no deep frying involved. :-)

I made 2 batches of this. The method of preparation is the same for both. Just varied the ratio on ingredients to try different taste.



Ingredients

Peanuts 1 cup
Chickpea Flour 2 tbsp
Rice Flour 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Little oil
Little water



Method of Preparation

1. Take the peanuts in a bowl. I used the salted peanuts, next time I will try and get the roasted peanuts from Indian store.

2. Add all the other ingredients (except water and oil) into the bowl.

3. Toss and coat the peanuts.

4. Sprinkle water just to make it all wet and dry ingredients to stick to the peanuts.

5. Spread in a microwave safe plate and cook for 2 min

6. Spray some oil on the top ( I just drizzled a little oil from the oil can). Turn and cook for another 2 minutes.

7. Again spray some oil and cook for 1 more minute. I was being very cautious and checked it every minute instead of 2 :-)

I wanted to enjoy these for the Friday night movie. So I made them on Thursday afternoon. I finished off half of it reading a book in the afternoon and my husband took care of the rest half. So I decided to make another batch on Friday :-)



Second Combination

We like the taste of Besan in the peanuts a lot. So I upped the quantity of flour the second time.

Peanuts 1 cup
Chickpea Flour 4 tbsp
Rice Flour 2 tbsp
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing a little
Baking soda 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Salt to taste
Little oil
Little water

We like both combinations equally. The second one had more besan taste like the ones we buy in stores.








Linking this to MLLA 43 (Susan's My Legume Love Affair Event), this month hosted by Claire

29 comments:

  1. i love this mw version hv made it once they taste so yumm.. i love ur clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favou teatime snack..nice pictures Dear..Have updated your name in the host line-up..plz check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Clicks Roshni. make me wanna grab the container and munch on. I make the MW version too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats lovely...my fav snack...al time luv ity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wat a super tempting masala peanuts,makes me drool..feel like munching some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. super yum ! First time here Roshni and happy follower now.. Nice to be part of Blog hop wit you!


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Magic Mingle challenge for Jan’12 announced
    Event : Microwave Easy Cooking (MEC)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Roshni. I love masala peanuts too and do big batches in the oven. Nice presentation.

    Vardhini
    Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
    Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very tempting roshni, i m craving for some masala peanuts now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very crispy and crunchy..want to grab some :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can munch on this forever...lovely!!
    Thanks for sharing the award before dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely clicks roshni, also plz stick it out with baking, we all started with a half baked cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Roshni, That is so tempting! First time here - The peanuts remind me SO much of my recent trip to India - matter of fact just about got over jet
    lag! You have a lovely blog dear and am your newest follower. Please do stop by my blog and would love for you to follow back :))
    cheers, Priya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely peanuts,crunchy n lovely clicks!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my childhood i love to eat a lot of masala peanuts.I am searching a lot of sites.How to prepare this dish.Thanks to share the masala peauts.I am glad to follow u :) If u free now come and visit my blog.Drop ur valuable comments.

    My Current Ongoing Events:
    Foodies Nest
    Milk Shake~Event

    ReplyDelete
  15. This masala peanuts have done a lot of rounds now. And i ve bookmaarked the recipe. Loved you clicks

    ReplyDelete
  16. crispy peanut is temptig
    1st time here .u have nice space .love to follow u .do visit my site .happy to follow u

    ReplyDelete
  17. superb!!.. i love the way u have prepared and shared with us :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm...tempting masala peanuts...MW version makes it a totally guilt free snack

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so delicious..my fav one..nice blog..following it ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a co incidence.. I have prepared the same thing for Blog Hop this week from Nirmala's.. I loved it too..
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  21. This lloos really yummy and easy to make! Will make this once I have peanut in hand...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have all the ingredients for this. I think I'll make some this evening, probably the second version. Thanks for another great entry to My Legume Love Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made these and they are so, so good. It's going to be hard not to eat them all before my husband gets home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for the feedback claire. the good part is even if you finish it, you can make another batch for him in 5 minutes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Roshni - I finally prepared a recipe from your blog....Even though every time I read your blog I want to make it never find the time. Great turn out...BTW, sprinkled little lemon juice on top and it gave a nice tangy flavor

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks wonderful and a lovely read

    ReplyDelete