Tuesday 31 March 2015

Mor Keerai - Spinach cooked in a coconut and yogurt sauce - Spinach Soup

Mor Keerai is a traditional recipe from Palakkad region of Kerala (in India). As I have mentioned before my one stop for all Palakkad recipes is Palakkad Cooking by my friend Kaveri. This is also adapted from her recipe.



Though traditionally served as a side dish, one other way I loved eating this was as a soup! I call it my Spinach soup with Chilli Oil dressing!




Ingredients

Spinach 400gm
Coconut 1/2 cup
Yogurt 1 cup
Dried Red Chillies 3

To Temper
Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds 1/4 tsp (or less|)
Dried Red Chillies 1

Method of Preparation

1. Add spinach to a pot along with a cup of water. Let it wilt and cook for a few minutes.

2. Let it cool. Grind to a smooth puree.

3. Grind the coconut and red chillies along with some of the yogurt to a fine paste.

4. Add the spinach, coconut paste and the rest of the yogurt back to the pot.

5. Heat till it starts to boil. Do not let it boil. Simmer for a couple of minutes and switch off.

6. In a small pan, heat a little oil. Add the mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the fenugreek seeds and red chillies (broken). When it sizzles, transfer to the curry.

Serve as a side dish for rice (traditional way). Another great option is to eat as a soup with some bread. I loved it more as a soup! 

1 comment: