Monday 6 August 2012

Punjabi Chole

I used to struggle to make good chole. It always turned out to the watery and disjointed gravy. But these days I have been successful in making yummy Chole. I tried making a Coriander Chole sometime ago, which was really yummy. This version of chole, I adopted the tea bag technique from the Pindi Chole and made the Punjabi Chole. You can skip that if you want as it is more for the colour and look rather than the taste factor.

Channa Masala - I used store bought powder. If you do not have it, you can use garam masala. But Channa Masala in addition to the standard garam masala ingredients, also has amchur powder and pomegranate powder. That gives the characteristic tangy taste. Also, remember that Channa Masala (most store bought ones - I use MDH) has some amount of saltiness in it. So add salt accordingly.



Did I tell you about my new found love for munching on green chillies with dinner? I always like spicy food. But husband and kid cause my food to be on the milder side. With dishes like this, I always keep some onions and green chillies. Must try if you have not tried chole with green chillies on the side.

Ingredients

Chickpeas dried 2 cups
Tea bags 2
Onions 4
Tomato 4
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 4 pods
Green Chillies 4
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf 1
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Cardamom 2
Clove 2
Star Anise 4
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp
Channa Masala 1.5 tbsp
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish

Chopped onions and green chillies to serve

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the chickpeas overnight. Drain water. Add 4 cups of water, tea bag and a little salt. Pressure cook till it is cooked well, but retains the shape. Drain the cooked water and save it.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom. star anise and cumin. When it sizzles, add finely chopped onions and a little salt. Saute till the onion starts to brown.

3. Make a paste of Ginger and Garlic. Add to the pan along with turmeric powder. Saute for some more time.

4. Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Cook till the tomatoes are cooked well. There is a lesson one of my Punjabi friends taught me.... I stop when I think the tomatoes are done. As per her, the trick is to keep cooking till there is no trace of tomato and we have a smooth paste.

5. Add the channa masala. Mix well.

6. Add the drained water to the pan and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a little bit.

7. Add the cooked channa and chilli powder (Add as per need. I added 1 tsp and felt it was still mild). Or you could add more green chilli at the beginning. The advantage of adding the chilli powder at the end was, I could keep a cup for my little one and make our spicier. Add salt if needed.

8. Simmer for a little while. Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves. Add a little lime juice if you like it more tangy.

Serve with batura, puri or roti along with some chopped onions and green chillies.



12 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious :) btw I don't like to munch green chillies coz' they'll set my tngue on fire :) But my hubby does it :)
    Today's recipe-Spiced Guava Slices
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, you are much worse than my H. He can eat g.chilli raw. Ooohhh. I love punjabi chole and the consistency is so good Rosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks real tempting chole.. Best one with Roti... Yum !!!
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. simply superb.. best with bhature :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious masala,love the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect punjabi choley recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just need some pooris to gorge in... Loving it

    ReplyDelete
  8. chole goes well with puri/bature/roti & rice. Just love them. yours look super tempting

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chole is the dish i wanted to try for a long time. will try this version..

    ReplyDelete