Monday 25 March 2013

Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake with Nutella Buttercream Frosting



When you live far from your family, its very sad that you miss all birthdays, festivals etc. So I get super excited when we get to celebrate it together. My Dad, Mom and Brother celebrate birthdays within 12 days of each other. As a child I always used to feel left out as mine was a few months later. So this time of year is a Birthday time at our house. 

Interestingly, this is the second time in a row that I am able to celebrate my dad's birthday with him. Last year, I was in India at this time and this year he is visiting us.

Happy Birthday Daddy!!



I made this Eggless (cake is butterless as well) Vanilla Sponge Cake for his birthday. It is my first attempt to frost a cake. Very happy with what I made. Will keep working on my skills to get a perfect decoration next time :-)

This is a very simple recipe to follow and can be adapted to make any other cake if you wish. I have made it eggless and without butter. Well, the fact that the Buttercream frosting is loaded with butter beats the purpose. But then you can just make it without any frosting and enjoy it with tea/coffee in the afternoon. It uses Yogurt and Oil.

I do not need to sell the Nutella, do I? Have never seen anyone who does not like Nutella. Usually to eat nutella you do not need anything but the jar and your fingers :-). If that is not you, ok then the jar and a spoon. That is as far as I get with my jar. So to spare some to cook with it took some will power. I had some left over frosting. It was divine to just dig into it with a spoon.. Nope not a teaspoon, a tablespoon!!



I doubled all the measurements below and made 2 cakes in 7" round tins. Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.



Ingredients for 1 cake (7" round tin)

Recipe from Sharmis Passions

All Purpose Flour 1.5 cups
Yogurt 1 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Baking powder 11/4 tsp
Oil 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence 1.5 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. In the mixing bowl, take the yogurt and powdered sugar. Mix well.

2. Add Baking soda and Baking powder and mix. Let it rest for 5 minutes till bubbles form on the top.

3. In the mean, while sieve the APF twice and keep ready.

4. Grease a baking tin and dust it with a little flour. Preheat the oven to 200 C.

5. When the yogurt mix is bubbled, add oil and vanilla essence. Mix again.

6. Add the flour and give it a nice mix till it is all incorporated.

7. Pour into the baking tray.

8. Bake for 10 min at 200 C and then reduce oven temperature to 180 C. Bake for a total of about 25-30 min. Mine was done in 29 min (next time I plan to stop at 28 min).



Nutella Butter Cream Frosting

Recipe from Kitchen Treaty

Ingredients

Butter 1 cup (about 250 gm)
Powdered Sugar 2 cups
Nutella 2/3 cup
Vanilla 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Add soft butter at room temperature to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip it a little.

2. Add sugar and continue to beat till it is creamy. around 10 minutes.

3. Add the nutella and vanilla. Beat for a couple more minutes.

Nutella Butter cream is ready. Yummmmm

Assembly



Cool the cakes well. Place one of the cakes upside down. Apply a generous layer of the butter cream. Place the second cake base side down on top of the butter cream. Apply butter cream on the top and side. I used Nutella in a ziploc bag to write. Will buy some cake decorating and piping bags for next time :-)

18 comments:

  1. Looks so good and tempting!!Glad that you tried and liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - i especially liked the nutella frosting :) Bunch of birthday wishes to your dad roshni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly baked cake...Looks yummy! Belated Birthday wishes to your Dad Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cake rosh. I m sure your dad would have felt terrific after the cake. And yeah it takes herculean efforts to stop eating nutella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! Perfect spongy cake... Love the clicks...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cake for a lovely person in your live. Belated Birthday wishes to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so perfect and beautifully made... ur dad must have been really happy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cake made with loads of love.. Belated birthday wishes to ur dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. belated b'day wishes to your dad.. beautiful cake dear..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roshni, this is the easiest cake I have ever made. It took 10 minutes to put all things together while feeding Nishy his lunch. We all loved it...especially Smruti who couldn't stop eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Chandrika.. when I bake with eggs, i use the recipe below. It comes out even spongier. But this version is what I use when I want to bake eggless.
      http://www.roshniskitchen.com/2013/08/dinosaur-cake-with-recipe-for-perfect.html

      Delete
  11. This is my first time baking and I'm making it for my dad's birthday too. And I've no experience whatsoever. thanks for this.
    Any tips?
    I'd like to ask how's the sweetenes level in this cake? It isn't too sweet right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the recipe and let me know. Just follow the measurements accurately... And I used to be a bad baker when I started.. the more you bake, the better you get.. good luck...

      the cake itself is not too sweet. the buttercream is slightly sweet.. depends how you like it

      Delete
  12. Thank you . I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete