Saturday 20 April 2013

Gajar Ka Halwa - Carrot Halwa - 400th Post - Step by Step recipe



Gajar Ka Halwa / Carrot Halwa is a very popular Indian Dessert. The sweeter the carrots, the better the taste. Basically it is Grated Carrots cooked in milk and sweetened with a little sugar. You can optionally add some Khoya (crumbled paneer) to this to give it some richness.



My blog which I started as a small little venture has grown so much under my eyes. Well, I might sound quite formal here. But I have to say it. It could not be achieved without your support. My family (my Husband, little one and my dad) have been very good Guinea Pigs. Eating up all that I make. The friends (and some very special ones) that I made in the blogging world. You have become like a family to me. And then my friends who encourage me when I meet them or thru online feedback. Some of you who try the recipes posted, some who tell me they got inspired to cook cause of me and many whose recipes I try out! And all the internet users who come my way.. Wow, it really feels great. Thank you for encouraging me and teaching me.. Love you all.



Ingredients

Carrots Grated 2 cups
Milk 2 cups
Sugar 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Cashews few
Ghee 3 tbsp



Method of Preparation

1. Wash and Peal the carrots. Grate the carrots. I used a fairly big size grater. That was a thing I wondered before I started making. The size of the grater. I was not sure if I should go for smaller size. Looking around I realized that bigger size is better. Otherwise the result will be very mushy and will not have a texture.



2. Heat ghee in a pan. I added 2 tbsp and reserved 1 tbsp for the end. Add cashews. Fry till they brown a little. Take out of the ghee and keep aside.



3. Add the grated carrots to the ghee and saute till the carrots are slightly cooked.



4. Add milk and simmer till the milk is all drained out. Keep stirring in between. Using a non stick pan will help cause other wise, at this step it will start sticking to the bottom of the pan.



5. Add sugar and mix. The mix will start to be liquid again.


6. Add 1 tbsp of ghee to this while cooking. Cook till all the water is absorbed again.


7. Garnish with roasted cashews. Serve warm with some Vanilla Icecream.




9 comments:

  1. yummy and tempting halwa, nice clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hearty congrats on reaching 400 Rosh. Shows how dedicated and passionate you are. And as for the halwa, ask Neel to be thankful that i m not there. Or he would not even have got a teaspoon of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats dear on ur 400th post,way to go gal..Wat a beautiful and droolworthy halwa,prefect for the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 400th post.. :) :) Wishing you more success in the upcoming blogging endeavors!! Carrot halwa looks super delicious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. Congrats dear.. halwa looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats dear.. like the heart shape halwa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Rosh! Proud of ya! I rave about your blog and you to many friends I talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations... that's a huge acheivement to say... gajar halwa looks yummm....

    ReplyDelete
  9. 400 in 1.5 years?! That's freaking awesome Rosh!!! Wonder when I'll reach that number! :D I'm still at 250...

    Love the halwa! :) Wishing you many more milstones!

    ReplyDelete