Tuesday 2 April 2013

Thenga Thogayal - Coconut Thogayal



Thenga thogayal is not the same as Coconut Chutney. Thogayals almost always have Urad dal, red chillies and tamarind in it. Thenga Thogayal is usually eaten with rice. Mix with rice and eat with some dry side dish. I love it with idli and dosa. So I make as a side for Dosa/Idli.

Ingredients

Coconut 2 cups
Urad dal 1/4 cup
Red Chilli 4
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Tamarind 1 tsp
Hing a little

Oil and salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add Mustard.

2. When it sputters, add urad dal.

3. When it starts to brown, add the red chilli and hing.  Let it sizzle for a minute. Add to a mixie.

4. Add coconut, tamarind and salt along with a little water.

5. Grind into a coarse paste.

5 comments:

  1. Loved the clicks Rosh. My my they are getting more beautiful by the day. And who can say no to thenga thogayal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute looking bowl roshni and I liked the clicks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks very tempting..this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any kind of thogayal I will run after. Used to enjoy during my growing up when my mum makes them. But now forgotten. Your gorgeous recipe reminded me, adore the taste, flavors and its awesome with tosai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! all time favorite one... Y long time no see in my blog !?
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete