Wednesday 19 December 2012

Tofu Mutter Pasanda

Tofu has a great place in my kitchen. I use it a lot in many 'chinese' dishes. And many times as a substitute for paneer. Well, paneer is paneer. Nothing can beat its taste. But it is not easily available for me (unless i decide to make it). Tofu can be easily procured and we both love it.

And paneer mutter is such a popular dish. This is my tofu spin on it. Ofcourse, you can use the same recipe and make with paneer.



I decided to make this dish when Anusha of Tomato Blues gave me fresh or frozen peas as my secret ingredient for this week. Thank you Anu. It was a simple ingredient, yet got an awesome dish out of it

Pasanda is a white creamy sauce and paneer is usually stuffed with cashews and raisins. I have tried to incorporate the same flavours to the gravy.

Needless to say, it was a rich and creamy gravy. Fingerlicking at that. Please please do yourself a favour. Don't think about calories when you are making this. Just enjoy this heavenly side dish.

Ingredients

Tofu 2 cups
Peas 2 cups
Milk 2 cups
Water 1/2 cup
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Coriander leaves a little to garnish

Oil and salt to taste

To make a paste
Onions 2
Garlic 6 pods
Ginger 1 inch piece
Cashews 3 tbsp
Raisins 1 tbsp
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Clove 2
Star Anise 1
Poppy seeds 1 tsp
Water 2 cups

Method of Preparation

1. Cube the tofu and shallow fry it till it is slightly fried on all sides. You can ofcourse substitute with Paneer. If you get tofu in water like I do, wrap it is a couple of tissues. Place it between 2 plates or cutting boards. Place something heavy on top and leave it for a couple of hours (atleast 30 min). You will get nice firm tofu.

2. Steam the peas in the microwave for about 5 minutes. I used frozen peas. Adjust time as required.

3. In a pot, add all the ingredients under 'to make paste' including the water. Boil till the onions are cooked. The water will almost drain by the end. I used red onions and so did not get quite a white colour. Use Yellow onions if you can.

4. Grind into a fine paste.

5. Heat oil in the pan. Add the paste and saute till it comes together, about 5 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent sticking to the bottom.

6. Set the gas to low. Add the milk and stir to mix. Add the chilli powder and salt as well. Add the 1/2 cup of water if the gravy is too thick.

7. When it heats up, add the fried tofu and cooked peas. Mix well and simmer till it thickens.

8. Switch off and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.







AGC are making going Hush Hush (secret ingredient) this week. Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaVeenaPriya S

9 comments:

  1. PAsanda looks rich and inviting..Excellent side dish for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy pasanda.perfect side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pasanda looks creamy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! Inviting...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love it with naans... Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather make it the paneer way! I'm finding it difficult to like the tofu smell! We get really bad Tofu here! But these tofu pieces look so good! Lovely dish! And I gave Peas as my secret ingredient tooo!! :D

    Btw Rosh, pls edit my link now onwards, I redid the entire categorization - http://foodomania.com/category/specials/agc-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to make this with Paneer as no one at home likes tofu. wonderful choice of recipe for the secret ingredient Rosh. And hey what happened, no light due to winter is it?

    ReplyDelete