Sunday 14 April 2013

Sepankizhangu Roast - Arbi Roast - Taro Root Fry



Sepankizhangu, called as Arbi in Hindi and Taro root in English is a super tasty root vegetable. It is my brother's favourite. My husband also loves it. Typically it is made as a Vathakkal (stir fry in oil) in a slightly mushy state. I actually love that way of cooking Arbi. Today, I present to you a different variety which is nicely roasted. You will love this. The only negative I had was for me to prepare this for 4 adults took a lot of time. But I guess the taste made it all worth it.



Ingredients (Serves 2)

Sepankizhangu/Taro Root 5 big pieces (about 500gm)
Rice Flour 1 tbsp
Besan Flour 1/2 tbsp
Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Hing a little
Oil to fry and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. The first step is to cook the vegetable. It depends on the kind of Taro you have. So the method might vary. The idea is to cook till the skin can be pealed off and you can cut into small pieces (firm to touch, not mushy).

2. In a pressure cooker, add the Taro root and enough water. Cook for 1 whistle.

3. Peal the skin and cut into smaller pieces. Add to a bowl.

4. To that add the rice flour, besan, chilli powder, turmeric, hing and salt. Give it a toss. I shook the bowl and mixed. Otherwise the taro will get mushed up.

5. Heat some oil in a pan. (preferably a non stick pan). Add the spice coated Taro to it.

6. Roast in a medium flame. Once one side is roasted gently toss it so that the other side also gets roasted.

Enjoy with some rice and sambar/rasam.

4 comments:

  1. Give me that plate, can finish it rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Looks so tempting Roshni! tempting me early in the morning...
    Hope you had a great Vishu celebration

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can feel the crunch already in my mouth. Relish!

    ReplyDelete