Thursday 26 April 2012

Aamrakhand / Mango Shrikhand

I have this huge addiction for Shrikhand. My mom was born and brought up in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. She moved to Kerala after her marriage with my dad. We used to go to Ahmedabad for our summer holidays as my grandparents and my dad's brother and sister used to live there.

I really loved eating the Shrikhand when I was there. Another thing I relish is the Aamras (Mango Pulp) and warm rotis. There is something different about the Pulp that people make there. Not sure what they do.

One of my friends knowing my love for Shrikhand made us these Fruit and Nut Tarts. I completely forgot to check her recipe before making these. Next time I have to try her recipe. It was an out of the world dessert.

Anyways, with me getting my first box of mangoes from the Indian Store last week, I knew what I was making. I did not have Greek Yoghurt. Just had some low fat yoghurt in the fridge. That did not deter me from making it. I also did not get a lot of time to make the hung curd. I did this during my son's 2 hour afternoon nap. So it was not as thick as I would have liked.



Ingredients

Curd/Yougurt 500 gm (Made about 1.5 cups of Hung curd)
Sugar 1/2 cup
Mango 1 ( around 1 cup of pulp)
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Saffron few stands
1 tbsp milk to mix saffron

Method of Preparation

1. Make hung curd from the curd by hanging it from a muslin cloth to remove excess water.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients to mixie to make a pulp.

3. Add to curd and mix well.

4. Refrigerate and serve.

After I was done taking the photos, I just sat down and ate all of the Shrikhand in the bowl that I used for taking photo. Then of course with rotis at dinner time...

Pure Divine Indulgence!!!!



Linking this to Radhika's Chilled Delights Event

6 comments:

  1. I too love Shrikand...but never tried making it at home...yours looks so creamy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so refreshing... me too want to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure this tastes absolutely fab..even i to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and yummy sweet,one of my favorite....

    ReplyDelete
  5. would love to have this with hot pooris

    ReplyDelete