Friday 17 May 2013

Maharashtrian Masala Baath - Tindora Baath - Masala Rice made with Ivy Gourd

Tindora is one of my favourite vegetable. And the best way I like it is to just saute it in a little oil with jeera, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Simple and delicious. Usually a side like that works perfect with Rasam Rice. I also like it that way. But my way of eating it is to mix it with some warm rice.

For the Blog Hop week of our group AGC, I am visiting Priya's blog. I was trying to decide what I wanted to make and bookmarked a whole bunch of recipes. My favourite was the Nutella Brownies. I so badly wanted to make them, but somehow could not. Will have to make soon..



That is when this recipe caught my eye. It was an improved version of the rice that I usually love to eat. And am glad I tried it. It was just too good. Thank you Priya for the recipe!



Ingredients

Rice 2 cups
Onions 2
Tindora or Ivy Gourd around 30 vertically slit into quarters
Tomato 2 chopped

Bay leaf 2
Cumin 1 tsp
Hing 1/4 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp

Oil and salt to taste

For the masala
Cumin 1 tsp
Coriander 2 tbsp
Red Chilli 3
Clove 4
Cinnamon 2 inch piece



Method of Preparation

1. Dry roast the masala ingredients and powder it.

2. Pressure cook the rice with required water and keep ready.

3. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf, cumin seeds and turmeric.

4. When it sizzles, add sliced onions. Saute till it starts to brown.

5. Add the tindora and chopped tomato. Mix well.

6. Sprinkle a little water and cover and cook till the tindora is cooked, yet firm.

7. Add the powdered spice mix and salt. Cook for a few more minutes.

8. Add the cooked rice and mix well. Switch off.

Serve with some raita.






Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaPriya S

6 comments:

  1. love to make this rice.i love tindora a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny I've never tasted this veg when I was growing up in Madurai, but ever since I moved to Chennai, this would feature almost every week in some form or the other. Quite a different veggie, I guess you either love it or hate it, no in-betweens for this! Looks like a neat recipe, I do this with chow-chow, minus tomato. Will try this sometime, DH really LOVES kovakkai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flavourful one pot meal, inviting masala baath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. masala bath something that i turn to whenever i have tindora with me this makes a fab meal with some raita Rosh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the 1st pic!! Been going through your blog to make a recipe & its impossible to zero in on any one recipe! You have too many! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad u liked the recipe roshni- iy has turned out good, i can see that :) and the pics are nice

    ReplyDelete