Wednesday 29 May 2013

Sweet Potato Poriyal - Chakkaravalli Kizhamgu Poriyal - Sweet Potato Dry Curry

I never made many dishes with Sweet Potatoes. Lately I have started using it a lot. I cannot believe I have missed using it for sooo long. Radhika's blog is a repository of amazing recipes. Every time she posts something interesting I make it a point to try it. This one caught my eye when she posted it a few weeks ago.. Such a flavourful side. I will be making this often. Super easy to prepare as well.



Ingredients (Serves 4 as a side for Roti)

Sweet Potato 4 medium
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Hing a little
Curry leaf few

Oil and salt to taste

To pulse in mixie

Coconut 1 cup
Cumin 1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Shallots 6
Garlic 4 pods
Kashmiri red chilli  powder 1 tsp (or use 3-4 red chillies)
Turmeric 1 tsp



Method of Preparation

1. Peal and chop sweet potatoes into small pieces. Add to a pot with enough water. Boil till it is cooked, but still has a nice shape. Do not overcook. Drain and keep ready.

2. In a mixie, pulse together the coconut, cumin, fennel, shallots, garlic, chilli powder and turmeric.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard. When it sputters, add urad dal, curry leaf and hing.

4. When the dal browns, add the coconut paste and saute for a couple of minutes.

5. Add the cooked sweet potatoes and salt. Mix well.

6. Cover and cook in a slow flame for a few minutes till it all comes together.

Serve as a side for rice or roti. 

2 comments:

  1. Mom makes this and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one...you should try a combination of pumpkin and sweet potato and avarakkai..I love that combo..with coconut and green chillies..sweet and spicy

    ReplyDelete