Tuesday 25 June 2013

Lemon Drizzle Cake - Mary Berry's Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe - Happy Birthday!

When I see all the fancy cakes baked by my friends, I always think I will bake it one day. But I guess that will just be a dream for me. No one in my family likes cakes with butter cream or fondant. So when it was time to bake a cake for my husband's birthday, I decided to bake the cake he wanted.



My son and I are having a blast baking different stuff lately. If left to him, we would be baking everyday. The new Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer is making the baking more fun. Well, I guess soon we will be carrying the weight of the Mixer on our bodies :-)


I have baked a few cakes before which were made without eggs. Those were tasty and we all loved it. As I cannot eat a lot of eggs, I personally loved them. But I have lately come to realize that to get light, fluffy cakes you need the eggs and butter. This was a super light, spongy cake filled with the goodness of lemon.



I made 2 cakes with 7" round cake tins. You can halve the below recipe and just make one of the 7" cakes. Recipe Adapted from Mary Berry's Recipe

Ingredients (Makes two 7" round cakes)

Large Eggs 3
Self Raising Flour 175gms
Caster Sugar 175gms
Softened Butter 175gms
Baking Powder 1.5tsp
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon

For the Lemon Drizzle
Granulated Sugar 100gms
Juice of 1 Lemon



Method of Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).

2. Prepare the cake tins by greasing the bottom with some butter, line the bottom with a parchment paper and dust with some flour. Keep aside.

3. Beat together the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tins. 

5. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 mins, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.

6. While the cake is still warm, make the lemon drizzle topping. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice, and pour over the warm cake.

7. Leave to cool a little and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift the cake out of the tin. Cool on a wire rack. 

10 comments:

  1. That looks lovely! Lemon is such a delicious flavour :) I'm sure this made his b'day extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a huge fan of lemon zest! the subtle flavor adds so much of flavor its unbleievable.. looks super nice n fluffy.. i am sure husband had a very happy bday indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these days m craving for cakes......m on diet....this is making me super crazy....awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is awesome roshni.. have never used lemon zest.. will try it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious looking cake, yummy bday bake !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy cake and neat clicks

    ReplyDelete