Tuesday 18 June 2013

Mediterranean Vegan Sandwich - Ciabatta, Chickpea Spread, Sundried Tomatoes, Artichoke Hearts and Aragula Sandwich



When you are going on a hike/walk, a picnic lunch is just awesome. Packing something when you leave house means, you can just walk miles and then when you get to a nice scenic spot, you can sit down and munch your heart away. I have tried quite a few Sandwiches. Though they come off ok, it always left me with a wish to do something better.

That was until I made this simple, yet amazing sandwich. It would not be an exaggeration to say that it is the 'Best Veggie Sandwich' that I have ever eaten. So what are you waiting for. Go ahead. Make yourself one.



Ingredients (Makes 7-8 rolls)

Ciabatta Rolls 8
Chickpea Spread (see recipe below) or use Hummus
Artichoke Hearts about 8-10
Sun Dried Tomatoes 8
Aragula/Rocket 2-3 cups (enough to top all the rolls)

For spread
Chickpeas 1 can
Mint 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil as needed

Method of Preparation

1. Prepare the spread by adding chickpeas, mint and salt to the mixie. Add a few tbsp of olive oil to make a smooth paste. I used to oil from the sundried tomatoes.

2. Slice the Ciabatta rolls into 2.

3. Roughly chop the artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes.

4. Apply a generous portion of the spread on both sides of the roll.

5. Top with some artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes.

6. Add the aragula/rocket leaves.

7. Cover with the top of the roll

Enjoy the best sandwich you will ever eat in your life!!

This one is part of Palooza in a Pan. This month we are cooking with Legumes. Other recipes cooked so far this month

Mathanga Erissery - with Van Payar (Tatta payar, Red Chori, Cow Peas)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm craving for one right now. I wish to taste arugula and artichokes. wonder how they taste. I love the addition of sun dried tomatoes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds very exoyic Rosh, i ve always wondered how artichokes and arugula would taste. I came to know about these only when i started playing farmville. Terrific sandwich!!! may i ask if you made the ciabbatta too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anu and Radhika - thanks guys.. Aragula (also called rocket) is very popular in UK. Love it better than lettuce in my sandwiches. Works great as a final topping for pizza and pasta too.. My husband loves artichokes. Always buy the hearts in a jar. And no Anu, I did not make the rolls. They are store bought..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat a filling,satisfying,healthy and fantastic salad, i dont mind having it rite now for my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow think this could be my lunch for today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this sandwich of urs...summer treat it is...

    ReplyDelete