Sunday 2 June 2013

Potato Leek Soup

Winter seems to be lingering here for too long. Some days are sunny and nice and some days feels like Winter is back. This soup is a perfect one for those cold rainy days.

Whenever we were travelling, soup and bread for lunch is a great option to have in local cafe. Its quite amazing how I avoided this soup all my life. But last month when we were in Lake District, we were literally starved after a long walk and this was the only Vegan option in that cafe. So I decided to have it. That is when I knew what I was missing in my life. It was simply out of the world.

I decided to recreate the same when I came back home and we all loved a hearty soup.



Ingredient (Serves 8-10 big bowls)

Potato 8 medium
Leek 2
Butter 1 tbsp
Olive Oil 1 tbsp

Salt and Pepper to taste
Italian Herbs 1/2 tsp (optional)

Water/Stock/Cream/Milk as required

Method of Preparation

1. Peal and chop the potatoes.

2. Chop the leek and clean it well.

3. Heat a pot and add the butter and oil to it.

4. Add the potato and leek. Saute for a few minutes. Season with some salt and freshly ground pepper.

5. Add 1/2 cup of water/stock. Cover and cook in medium flame till the veggies are cooked.

6. Grind into a paste adding a little water/stock as required. You can leave it a little chunky of you choose to or grind into a smooth paste.

7. Bring it back to the pot. Add some more stock/water or some cream/milk and bring it to the desired consistency.

8. Bring it to boil and simmer for a few minutes.

9. Optionally stir in some Italian Seasoning. Serve with some bread and butter.

I added a combination of water and milk. As I mentioned earlier, you can choose to use a combination of water/stock and milk/cream. Adding Stock and Cream makes it more flavourful and creamier.

2 comments:

  1. this is really an appetizing soup...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember tasting this soup for the first time on a flight...It was really good...not like the regular flight food...never tried at home though

    ReplyDelete