Thursday 22 August 2013

Vegan Butternut Squash Soup



I have had my share of soup in my life and I have to say, this is by far one of the best soups I have ever had. Do you see me saying this quite often? Well, I guess I must love my soups :-) Now the challenging question is when it comes to having Soup for Dinner, Am I attracted to the soup or the bread/butter that comes with it! The answer in most cases is the bread. Even in this case that would not have been wrong cause it was soooo good. But the soup beat the bread this time.

Wondering what that bread is? It is a Savoury Kugelhopf baked as a loaf. Check out the recipe, it is an awesome bread.



You don't need a lot of Ingredients or spices to make super tasting Soup. Just the right combo is the key. Totally loved this combination. I will never look at Butternut Squash the same way again. Go on, try it.. I know you want to!



Ingredients (Serves 3-4 as a meal with bread)

Butternut Squash 1 medium
Onion 1
Potato 1
Red Pepper 1
Garlic 4-5 pods
Ginger 1 inch piece

Chilli Powder or Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cut the butternur squash into 2 vertically. Brush a little oil and bake in a preheated oven at 150C for 45 min. Scoop out the flesh and keep ready.

2. In a pan, heat a little oil. Add onions and let it brown a little.

3. Add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for a couple more minutes.

4. Add chopped pepper and potato. Saute till it is cooked. You can add a little (2-3 tbsp) of water if needed.

5. Let the mix cool and make a fine paste. Puree the squash as well.

6. Pout everything back into the pan. Add some salt and garam masala (or chilli powder or pepper powder).

7. Add 1.5 cups of water/stock/milk to it and mix. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with some bread!

8 comments:

  1. healthy and yummy soup,,,,
    http://raaazzzfoodlove.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thick and yummy looking soup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should make a filling delicious meal by itself and i love the fact that its not thickened by a blob of cream. I m stealing that mug from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup looks yum, love the clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a healthy and wholesome soup..Looks delicious Roshni

    ReplyDelete