Monday 16 September 2013

Neeragaram - Neer Choru - Pazham Choru - Spiced Rice and Buttermilk Porridge

When I think of simple village food (gramathu sappadu), the first thing that comes to my mind is the Pazham Choru. It is basically a way to eat up left over rice. In our homes, my mom used to add some water to the left over rice and leave it in the kitchen counter. Next morning, you can drain the water and make this Pazham Choru. Though in those days it was not considered as a fancy food, it has great cooling properties. Yes, I know what you are thinking. Why am I posting it now as summer is over. Well in India it is always summer enough for Neer Choru!



I saw a couple of bloggers (Sangee and Radhika) posting recipes similar to this with Oats (a modern twist to the traditional staple). I am yet to try with Oats. Will update once I do.

This is traditionally served in Man Chatti (earthen pots). It adds to the cooling properties of the buttermilk. You can add all of the below spices or just some. It will taste awesome just like that.

Ingredients (makes 2 cups)

Cooked Rice 1/3 cup packed
Yogurt 2-3 tbsp
Water 2 cups
Shallots 1 sliced (you can use onions if you don't have shallots)
Green chilli 1 finely chopped
Curry leaves few
Ginger a small piece finely chopped
Coriander leaves few
Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Mash the rice finely.

2. Take the yogurt in a bowl. Add water to it and churn it. You can use a wire whisk for this. In India we use a wooden churner (called Mattu in tamil).

3. Add the salt, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and shallots. Mix well.

4. Add this to the mashed rice. Mix well.

This works as a great dinner for the day when you had a heavy lunch or did I tell you a great food for dieting!



Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaPriya S

7 comments:

  1. inviting me to try... so simple and awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy & old recipe.. looks perfect & yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tasted this before. Looking at these clicks and reading through the recipe makes me want to try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. healthy and gr8 to finish breakfast with htis..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to start my day with this beautiful dish,healthy neeragaram.

    ReplyDelete