Wednesday 18 September 2013

Creamy Cashew and Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta

Pesto is one of my favourite Pasta Sauces. As with most things I love, it has dairy (parmesan cheese) and I cannot eat it. So while leading a life where I missed a lot of good things in life, I made a pesto with my homemade pasta. I served the family the real deal and made myself a modified version of the same. Recipe here. I have to be honest, you will not miss the cheese (unless that is the only thing you like in Pesto).



Now if you are looking for the best Vegan Pesto recipe (well, the best pesto recipe) in the world, look no further. You found it!! This has a blend of some amazing flavours, you will want to make a big batch. Everyone will ask for seconds and thirds!

Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients

Cashew 3/4 cup
Garlic 2 pods
Sun Dried Tomatoes 3/4 cup (almost drained)
Cherry Tomato 1 cup
Basil 1/2 cup (packed)
Parmesan Cheese 1/2 cup (optional, I have not used it. just sprinkled on the top of the pasta at the table for whoever was interested in)
Red Chilli  Powder 1/2 tsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
A little salt (remember the pasta will be salted)

To make Pasta (Serves 3 generously)

Pasta 300 gms
Pesto Sauce 1/2 of above recipe
Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Pulse the cashew in a food processor.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse till combined.

3. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add some salt. Cook Pasta as per package instructions. Drain (reserve a cup of pasta water).

4. Toss the pasta with the required amount of sauce. Add a little reserved water to loosen it up.

I served the pasta with no cheese for my husband and me. The Vegan version was just out of the world. My son enjoyed it with parmesan cheese. What a sneeky way to feed Veggies to kids and my little one truely loved this pasta!

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful recipe. Today I, happily, made it for the second time. Thank you so much for creating it!

    ReplyDelete