Monday 22 September 2014

Tandoori Gobi Kathi Rolls - Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Wholewheat Wraps


Let me start by thanking everyone for staying with me through this long absence. Loads of things came my way and I was not able to dedicate time to cooking for the blog (did I say I cook for the blog, may be I should say cooking for the family to be safe). I had a wonderful time with a couple of India Trips (woo hoo!!) for my brother's engagement and wedding. The months in between were spent with my in laws visiting us and me eating all the yummy food made by my Mother in law. So now you know why I was not cooking and blogging.


Now that I am back, lets get the party started shall we? This Roasted Cauliflower is perfect for just about anything. You could have it as a side dish with roti, goes great with rice, as a starter in a party, as a sandwich filler or in a Kathi Roll.. Yummm.. I wish I had a photo of the rolls toasted with a little oil or butter on the pan. Trust me, you want to do that. It just crisps up the outside and gives it a buttery flavour. 



For the Wrap
Ingredients
Whole Wheat Flour 1.5 cups
All Purpose Flour 1.5 cups (you can use whole wheat here as well)
Water as required
Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Add the flour and salt to a bowl. Mix well.

2. Add water a little at a time and knead into a soft pliable dough

3. Let it rest for 30 min.

4. Divide into 6 portions. This makes big 10" wraps.

5. Roll into thin circles.

6. Cook on a hot pan on one side.

7. Turn and cook on the other side.

8. You do not need to fully cook it as we will be cooking it again once the wrap is made.

For the Tandoori Gobi
Ingredients

Cauliflower 1 Extra Large

To Marinate
Chilli Powder 2 tsp
Coriander Powder 2 tsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) 1 tsp (crushed)
Yogurt 4 tbsp (use vegan yogurt or skip to make vegan)
Oil 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp for later
Salt 1 tsp (or to taste)
Ginger Paste 1 tsp (Grate a small piece of ginger)
Garlic Paste 1 tsp (Grate 3-4 cloves of garlic)

Method of Preparation

1. Separate the florets into small pieces.

2. In a bowl mix everything for the marinade.

3. Coat each floret with the marinade and arrange on a baking sheet covered with foil.

4. Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F).

5. Bake the cauliflower for about 35 - 40 min.

6. Half way thru baking, brush with the 1 tbsp oil that you reserved. Also turn around the pieces and also the tray (front to back).


Assembly

Ingredients

Wraps
Tandoori Gobi
Mint Chutney (Use Pesto if you do not want to use this. Try and make a mint/coriander pesto).
Sliced Onions
Greens (Optional)
Cheese (Optional)

Method of Preparation

1. Take a wrap and place it on the work surface.

2. Spread the wrap with the mint chutney

3. Add sliced onions, tandoori gobi, greens and cheese (if using).

4. Close the sides of the wrap and roll from the bottom.

5. Place in a preheated pan. And cook till the wrap is toasted. Use a few drops of oil if needed.

I did not use oil in the one in the photo. But used it for the rest of the batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment