Thursday 23 August 2012

Sukhiyan - Pullayar Chathurthi Special

Sukhiyan is basically Moong Dal, Coconut and Jaggery cooked together and then dipped in a batter of Maida and Rice Flour and then deep fried. I make a variation of this with just coconut and jaggery. I am presenting that recipe to you.



I am a crazy fan of jaggery sweet (any sweet if truth be said). But husband is not too keen on jaggery sweet and kid not keen on any sweet. So I decided not to make a lot. Made a very small batch for Pullayar Chathurthi. But guess what, they both loved this and I felt bad for not making a big batch.. It has to happen like that right?

Though we worship many Gods, for some reason I am always at peace when I pray to Pullayar. Just sitting there looking at him makes me happy. Its like he is telling me - Don't worry, I am always there with you.



Ingredients (Makes 6 sukhiyans)

For Stuffing 
Coconut 1/2 cup
Jaggery 1/4 cup powdered
Cardamom 1/8 tsp

For Batter
Maida 8 tbsp
Rice flour 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Sugar 1/4 tsp



Method of Preparation

1. In a bowl, mix maida, rice flour, turmeric, salt and sugar. Add about 1/2 cup of water and make a thick paste.

2. Heat a small pan. Add the powdered jaggery along with 1 tbsp of water. Let it melt.

3. Once melted and frothing, add coconut shredded and cardamom. Mix well  and cook in low flame till all the water is evaporated and the coconut cooks into the jaggery. Takes about 5 minutes.

4. Transfer to a plate. And make into 6 balls when it is warm. Tip to roll when is hot - Keep a bowl of cold water. Dip your hands in it and then roll a ball. Repeat.

5. Heat oil in a pan. Dip the stuffing in the batter preparared and drop into hot oil, few at a time.

6. Fry in medium heat till it gets a nice yellowish brown colour. Take out into a tissue paper.

14 comments:

  1. We call it sukrunde, nice pics.......

    http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like payatham paruppu urundai.. like the preparation..

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this a lot, but we usually make it with chana dal...looks very tempting...Nice clicks Roshni!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roshni, I blogged this last week except with urad batter- Love the Ganeshas and the Sukhiyan looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ഹൃദയം നിറഞ്ഞ ഓണാശംസകള്‍.......... ബ്ലോഗില്‍ പുതിയ പോസ്റ്റ്‌.............. തുമ്പ പൂക്കള്‍ ചിരിക്കുന്നു................ വായിക്കണേ..................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummyy... Love it...

    Link it up in my ongoing event|:http://www.jiyasdelicacy.blogspot.sg/2012/08/lets-party-festive-special-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fav one...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, we make similar dish called modak

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice and different recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am a fan of sugiyans...I loved the Ganesha Idols you've got...I have a collection of Ganesha idols which I have collected over the years...but unfortunately in this house I don't have place to display any of them and they are all lying in some boxes in the loft:(

    ReplyDelete