Thursday 26 January 2012

Soya Pulao

I have not cooked with soya chunks in a long long time. I remember that my husband and I used to like it. Not sure why I stopped using it. When I walked into the Indian store a couple of weeks ago, I saw this and picked it up. I did not give much thought to what I was going to make with it. I guess I assumed it was going into some curry.

We were very busy this morning and it was already around 12 and I was still not decided on what I was going to make. That is when this soya chunks kept starting at me from the pantry. So I decided to do something with it. Since I did not have the time to make curry and roti, i decided to make a rice.

When it comes to rice, I almost always make a gravy or masala with the ingredients. Cook rice separately and then mix it up at the end. I have always wanted to try cooking all the ingredients directly in the cooker itself for some time now. Have been seeing quite a few recipes lately. So decided to give it a shot. It does give the rice a steamed kind of taste. We liked it. I read this recipe a little while ago in tickling palates and have adapted from there.



Ingredients

Rice 2 cups
Soy Chunks 1/2 cups
Onion 1
Tomato 2
Peas 1/2 cup

Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Bayleaf 1
Star Anise 2
Clove 2
Jeera 1 tsp

Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing a little
Garam masala 1 tsp
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp

Curry leaves
Ginger 1 inch piece chopped
Green chillies 2 chopped

Butter, Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat some water in a small pot and when it boils add the soya chunks. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.

2. Heat oil and butter in the pressure cooker. Add Cinnamon, Bayleaf, Star Anise, Clove, Jeera, Turmeric, Hing, Curry leaves, Ginger, Green chillies

3. When it sizzles, add the chopped onions. 

4. When it turns pink, add the tomatoes and cook well.

5. Add the turmeric, hing, chilli powder and garam masala. Stir well.

6. Add the peas (add any vegetable of your choice), soy chunk and rice (you can soak the rice for sometime if you want). Mix well.

7. Add 4 cups of water and cook for 2 whistles. 

Yummy soy pulao is ready to be served with raita or side dish of your choice.

12 comments:

  1. superb recipe........soya pulao is a healthy version of rice varities...awesomly done

    ReplyDelete
  2. iam in plan to do this rice in this week......Yummy and delicious Recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouthwatering here, wat a terrific and super tempting pulao..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful presentation of flavors..superbb pulav
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  5. firsttime to ur blog dear...soya pulao looks delicious...im glad to follow u dear

    rekha
    http://www.rekhasrecipe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. rice looks wonderful following your lovely site

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rice has come out superb Roshni.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious pulav roshini,luks yum...

    ReplyDelete