Friday 27 April 2012

Homemade Paneer

Blogging does have a lot of advantages. I end up trying some recipes that are super simple, but those which I have never tried before. Shrikhand was one such. When I made Paneer, I felt so happy. It is so simple to make, yet can you believe it - This is my first attempt.



It tasted really good. Now I do not have to wait for my trip to Indian store to get some paneer. Paneer is just a few hours away.

Ingredients (Makes 2 cups of Paneer)

Milk 9 cups
Lime juice 1/4 cup (1.5 lime)
Water 1/2 cup



Method of Preparation

1. In a thick bottomed pot heat the milk.

2. When it comes to a boil, simmer. Mix the lime juice and water. Gently add it to the simmering milk.

3. Stir for a minute or 2 more to let the milk curdle.

4. Place a sieve over another pot. Place a muslin cloth over it. Pour the curdled milk over it.

5. Now run this under cold water. This helps to remove heat and you will be able to squeeze water easily.

6. Squeeze as much water as possible by wrapping the muslin cloth into a bundle.

If you need crumbled paneer, then you can stop at this step and use the paneer.

7. Open and pat the paneer into a rectangle. Close the cloth again.

8. Place it under a heavy vessel for 2 hours. Cut and use as desired.

4 comments: