Monday 19 December 2011

Ulundu Sevai

Have you read the story of my attempt to make idiyappam? Do read it. Now I equipped myself with a new device (one which rotates in the hand), courtesy my friend who came back from her India trip. The story was slightly better cause I managed without husband at home. But I still struggled. I found it difficult to hold as it was hot and also slippery.

For many, the words sevai and idiyappam are synonymous. Technically they are not the same. To begin with I differentiate them as Idiyappam being a kerala dish and sevai being a tamil dish. That is also not true. Sevai though not made by malayalees, idiyappam I have learnt many tamilians make. So coming to some actual differences. Idiappam is made of Raw rice and Sevai with Boiled rice. Idiappam - you make a dough, press and then steam into idli plates. Sevai - you make dough, steam and then press ready to eat. Not sure if many of you will agree with me. Let me know what you think.

I am not going to describe how to make sevai. Just a small post describing how to make Ullundu sevai. This is a variety like making Lemon sevai, coconut sevai etc. It is a new recipe to me that I learnt from my mother in law. To be honest I am not a big fan of this. But my husband loves this soooo much. His mom always makes a batch of this whenever she makes variety sevai. Luckily for me there will always be 4-5 varieties of sevai, I can get away with eating just a little bit of this. My son also liked this when I made it.



Ingredients

Whole Urad Dal 1 cup
Green chillies 2
mustard 1 tsp
hing
salt
oil

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the Urad dal for an hour.

2. Drain and grind into a course paste with salt and green chillies.

3. Make balls of it and steam in idli plates for 8-10 minutes. Crumble and keep aside.

4. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard. When it sputters, add the hing and crumbled urad.

5. Saute for a few minutes till it cooks a bit. Make sure it does not become really hard.

6. Mix with sevai and enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Its been ages i had this sevai,makes me nostalgic..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok I am missing something between Step 3 and 4...when do they become from the balls into the noodles shown on the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sum

      This post is about the method of converting plain sevai to uzhunthu sevai. you can either make the sevai or use rice noodles. Then use to above recipe to mix it. It is a variety like lemon sevai, coconut sevai etc...

      Roshni.

      Delete
  3. lovely idea rosh like how we make ammini kuzhakattai

    ReplyDelete