Tuesday 3 January 2012

Misal Pav

My husband and I had Misal Pav when were in Pune 3-4 years ago. We were instantly in love with the dish. I am surprised this is not as famous as other Chat items like Pav Bhaji, Bhel Puri, Pani Puri etc. I had never heard of it before we went to Pune. I hear it is quite popular in Maharashtra. I looked in the internet for a lot of recipes and found this recipe interesting and well described. So I tried to follow it.

I made it once during the last week of December and took these photos. We liked it so much that I decided to make it for the New Year Party with our neighbours. We had Misal Pav, Tomato sevai, idiyappam/kadala curry, dhokla, biriyani/raita and gulab jamun. Kudos to all the lovely ladies for their effort to make yet another memorable party. Our host had planned a few games. We also had a dance time. What a way to welcome new year.

Misal Pav basically has a few components that is put together to enjoy the dish. Usal (the dry sprout dish), Rasaa (the gravy), pav (the bread), Sev (a lot of other toppings can be used. I made only 1), onions and coriander leaves.



For Usal

Ingredients

Sprouted Green Moong 1/2 cup (The actual recipe is Matki beans. I do not have any. So we used Moong. It worked well).
Onion 1 finely chopped
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of preparation

1. Heat oil in pan and add the mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the turmeric and hing.

2. When it sizzles add the onion. When it starts to brown, add the moong sprouts. Cook for a little bit by sprinkling water. The sprouts can be cooked as per your taste. Add salt and mix.

I did not add any other spice like chilli powder, garam masala etc as it is anyways going to be mixed with the Rasaa.

For Rasaa

Ingredients

Onion 1
Tomato 1
Coconut 3 tbsp
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 2-3 pods

Sugar 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder 2 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp

Salt and Oil to taste
3 cups boiled water

Method of preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onion and saute for a little.

2. Add the ginger, garlic, coconut and saute for some more

3. Now add the tomato and saute till it is all cooked.

4. Cool and grind into a fine paste by adding some water.

5. Keep 3 cups of hot water ready.

6. In a pan, heat some oil and the sugar. The add the chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric. After a few seconds, add the paste and mix. Add the water and salt and mix well.

7. Boil and switch off.

For Sev

Follow the recipe for Omapodi in my blog or use store bought

For Pav

I used store bought Pav

To put together

You can serve all the components separate or you can mix everything and serve. To eat, add a couple of tbsp of usal, pour a laddle of rasaa, add the sev, onions and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with toasted pav.

All ready to be mixed





Linking this to MLLA 43 (Susan's My Legume Love Affair Event), this month hosted by Claire

10 comments:

  1. What a small world,we r now in the same country and 4 yrs ago I was also in Pune :)
    Had lot of charts from there,but never had this,if I ever get back I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy,spicy and delicious....yummy misal pav..love to try this soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks healthy n delicious... bookmarked to try...thanks for the recipe...do drop by mine when u find time...thank you!!
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event ~ Dish It Out-Brinjal n Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time on ur blog. Loved ur recipes!! This recipe looks healthy & tasty !!! Glad to follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot dear for trying my recipe. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slurp,super tempting misal pav,makes me drool..Roshni, i have reserved november for u to host cws,the choice of seeds depends upon u, if you wanted me to create the logo,i'll do happily for u,else you can do by urself,hope i cleared ur doubt..If you any q'n pls do let me know..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great snack, Roshni! It sounds like you had a great start to the new year, too. Thanks for sending your dish to My Legume Love Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! It too is a staple of maharastra and does not share the same glory as pav bhaji and other mumbai foods :) Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete