Monday 2 July 2012

Sambar Version 1

Sambar is quite popular in South India. Though made in every state, each has its own version. Plus a lot of people from North India also adopted sambar and they have their own version.

You might be wondering what's the deal with the title. Let me explain. I usually make a version of sambar quite similar to my Mom's version of sambar. My Mother in law makes an arachu vitta (ground spice) sambar. Both of these are tamil style, though they differ from each other. I realized lately that I have not blogged about those yet. Will get to it soon. The sambar I love the most is Kerala style sambar - I am still on the search for the correct recipe. I found a recipe in Faseela's site which kind of reminded me of Kerala Sambar. It tasted amazing!!! But it was not the recipe I was looking for. I will try and post different recipes of Sambar that I try. Also check the recipe of Tiffin Sambar that I have posted before.



Ingredients

Toor Dal 1/4 cup
Vegetables - Potato 1, carrots 2, Eggplant 1/2 cup, Vendakka/okra 6 cut into big pieces
Onion 1 big sliced
Tomato 3
Green Chilli 2

Chilli Powder 1 tbsp
Coriander Powder 2.5 tbsp
Turmeric 1 tsp

For roasting

Coconut 1 cup
Garlic 4 pods
Curry Leaves few
Shallots 5

For Tempering

Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Oil

Method of Prepapation

1. Cook the dal with enough water for 4 whistles in a pressure cooker. I added 2 cups of water.

2. Clean the pressure cooker and add onions, tomatoes, green chillies (slit) and all the vegetables along with chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add a cup of water and the cooked dal to it.

3. Cook for 2 whistles.

4. In the mean while, roast coconut, garlic, shallots and curry leaves till the coconut starts to brown. Grind into a fine paste adding enough water.

5. Once the cooker is opened, add the ground paste and simmer for a few minutes.

6. In a small pan, add oil and mustard. When it sputters, add the cumin and curry leaves and add to the simmering sambar.

Serve with warm rice.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Roshni, DakshinaChitra is located on the East Coast Road at Muttukadu – 21 kms South of Chennai.

    Check out this link for more info :
    "http://dakshinachitra.net/scripts/locationtimings.asp"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp, lipsmacking sambar..lovely sambar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting sambhar,My MIL makes it this way..Got in my drafts,will post soon:-)

    Ongoing Events of Erivum Puliyum @ Palakkad Chamayal-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roshini ,

    Sambar looks mild and delicious!!!!

    Perfect match to hot idlisand dosai:))

    Keep on Roshini ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx a lot roshini....Sambhar loks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting Sambar, roast n grind ing sounds very flavorful n sure gives unique taste to the sambar...will try it sometime...looks yumm!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete