Wednesday 1 October 2014

Punjabi Rajma Masala - Red Kidney Bean Stew



Rajma Masala is basically a Kidney bean stew and is a staple in Punjabi Households. It is one of those recipes that has to be enjoyed in an authentic kitchen. I have had a few punjabi friends who have made the best Rajma for me and I totally love it (if made right). Yes, you read it. I am not a fan of it if the recipe is messed up.




I have a version of Rajma Masala that I posted a long time ago and I love that. I have been praised for the easiness and tastiness of that recipe. So when it comes to trying variations, I am usually a little sceptical. When my friend Anu posted a recipe for Rajma Masala, I wanted to try it. But I was not sure if I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I really liked the gravy when I tried it. I have used the same masala for making a variety of lentil dishes and have loved them all.



Ingredients (Serves 8)

Dry Kidney Beans (Rajma) 2 cups
Tomatoes 4
Bay leaf 2
Cumin seeds 2 tsp

Coriander powder 2 tbsp
Kashmiri Chilli powder 2 tbsp
Garam Masala 3 tsp

Coriander leaves a small handful

Oil and salt to taste

To Make Paste
Onion 2
Garlic 8 pods
Ginger 1" piece
Green chilli 1

Method of Preparation

1. Soak Rajma in a lot of water overnight. Drain water. Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook till it is well cooked but still has its shape. I need only 2 whistles with my cooker. Drain and keep the water.

2. Make a paste of onions, garlic, ginger and green chillies.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and cumin. When it sizzles, add the onion paste. Saute till it starts to brown.

4. In the meanwhile make a paste of tomatoes.

5. Add coriander power, chilli powder and garam masala to the onions. Saute.

6. Add the tomato puree and cook till everything comes together and oil starts to ooze out of the cooked tomatoes.

7. Add a little of the rajma water and salt. Bring to boil.

8. Add the rajma. Mix everything together. Add more water if needed.

9. Switch off after a few minutes. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. 

3 comments:

  1. what a coincident... I just soaked rajma to make some tomorrow. Delicious rajma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am told big stuff about rajma.... never made it though.. seeing urs, i think i will have to give it a try. lovely presentation dear

    ReplyDelete