Tuesday 14 October 2014

Boondi Ladoo - Diwali Sweet - Step by Step recipe - Vegan, Gluten Free

Diwali is just a week away. We are all busy planning what we are going to make for our loved ones. I am also working on what I am making for my family (collecting their wish list). How can I forget the blog? I need something new to celebrate Diwali with my wonderful readers. I will start off this year with an awesome sweet - Boondi Ladoo.


Each family has its own specialties when it comes to Diwali. In my mom's place, we always had Okkarai and Inji Lehiyam. For Savoury, she always make Diamond Chips (cause we all loved it). In my Mother-in-laws kitchen the specialties are Mixture and Ladoo. I blogged mixture recipe last year. So I thought I will post Ladoo recipe today.


Ingredients

Besan (Chickpea Flour) 1 cup
Rice Flour 1 tbsp
Water about 1/2 cup + 2tbsp (use as needed)

Extras
Cashews 2 tbsp
Raisins 2 tbsp
Ghee (or use Oil for Vegan) 1 tbsp

Sugar Syrup
Sugar 2 cups
Water 1.5 cups
A pinch of food colour (if desired)
Cardamom 1/4 tsp

Oil for Deep Frying

Method of Preparation

1. Sift the Besan in a bowl. Add rice flour and mix well.

2. Add water as required to make a thick batter.

3. Add sugar to a pan. Add the water and bring to a boil. Simmer till you get a sticky syrup (almost a 1 string consistency).

4. Add the food colour and cardamom powder to the syrup. Keep aside.

5. Heat oil for deep frying.

6. To prepare Boondi the first thing you need are these spoons



8. Once ready, dip the tip and let a drop fall into the hot oil. If it falls flat it means the batter is too runny add more besan (1 tsp at a time). If it forms a tail, it means it is too thick. Add a little more water (1 tsp at a time).



9. Now you are ready to make the boondi. Heat oil and then keep it at low.Pour a ladlde of batter on the boondi spoon. Gently do circular motion with the laddle to let the batter drip down to the hot oil.



9. Clean the boondi spoon and keep ready. Cook the boondi till it is done and using another laddle fish it out and add to the sugar syrup

10. Repeat till all the batter is done.

11. Let it sit till all the syrup is absorbed by the boondi.

12. Take a lime size portion of the boondi and roll it into a ball. Press to make sure that it retains the shape. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey just yesterday I posted these too...very nicely made Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy.... I love boondi ladoos and am planning to make some for diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so easy in this post... I'm a die hard fan too... Cant wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete