Saturday 19 November 2011

Tomato Onion Chutney

Chutneys are often overlooked. But I feel it is what makes or breaks the breakfast!

I was almost going to say - this is my favourite chutney. Then remembered that the 'Katti Chamandi' the thick dry coconut chutney made in kerala is my favourite. So that makes this my second favourite.

My mom used to make this every time she made wheat dosa (See recipe here). Other than eating with dosa and idli, my fav ways of eating this are 1. mix with rice and eat with potato or vendakka fry. 2. as a side for curd rice.


Ingredients

Onion 1 Big, cut into big chunks
Tomoto 3, cut into big chunks

Channa Dal 2 tbsp
Green Chillies 3
Ginger small piece

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan and add the add the channa dal.

2. when it starts to brown, add the onion and saute

3. when the onion becomes translucent, add the tomatoes, chillies and ginger

4. saute till the tomato starts to cook a little

5. cool and then grind to a fine paste. If you do not cool, it does not give the right taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment