Saturday 25 February 2012

Cauliflower Moong Dal Curry

Cauliflower and Moong dal was a new combination for me and if you have not tasted this curry, I will highly recommend you try this once. It is very addictive.



Do you guys believe that we pass on a lot of habits to our kids in our day to day life. When I used to work, I used to cook at 8 after my son slept. So he was not part of my cooking adventures. Now a days I cook in the evening at around 4. My son hangs out with me while I am cooking. When I say hangs out, it is just not sitting there. He also has his own pot for making the dishes and keeps stirring and adding ingredients to his pretend cooking pot. I have to literally give him a tiny bit of all the ingredients I use in my cooking. He even brings his pot to the table to serve. Thank god he does not insist on anyone eating it. That's not it, I have to take photo of his dish as well. We find it so cute :-)


















Ingredients

Cauliflower cut into small florets 2 cups
Onion 1 small chopped
Green Chilli 1
Ginger 2 inch piece
Curry leaf 3 sprigs
Moong Dal 1 cup

Mustard 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing a little

Method of Preparation

1. Steam the cauliflower. I just stuck it in microwave for 4 minutes. Make sure it is still a little solid and not all mushed up.

2. In a pan, add the moong dal and cook with enough water. Make sure that it retains its shape and does not mush up when you stir it. Drain and keep ready.

3. In another pan, add mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the turmeric, hing, ginger, curry leaves and green chilli.

4. Saute for a few seconds and then add the onions.

5. When the onion becomes translucent, add the cooked cauliflower, moong dal and some salt. Toss it around and cook for couple more minutes.

Cauliflower curry is ready to serve. Note that all the flavour for the curry comes from the ginger, curry leaves and chilli. So make sure you are generous with it.

6 comments:

  1. moong dal n cauliflower interesting combo, never tried...curry looks inviting...bte loved the dish made by your kids...so sweet :)
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event:Show Me Your HITS~Healthy Delights

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet of ur kid, and my lil one , when I give her something to eat, she sets it for me to take a click and then she starts eating:)
    curry looks healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds great.....lovely combo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome recipe dear. Bookmarked

      Aarthi
      http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

      Delete