Thursday 21 June 2012

Kerala Green Moong Dal Curry

I saw looking for recipes for side dish with moong dal. I looked at the roundup of Moong Dal in Priya's blog. I saw this recipe in Sangeetha's blog. I really liked it. It was very similar to the Kerala Tomato Curry recipe. Loved it.



Ingredients

Sprouted Moong 2 cups
Onions 2
Tomato 4
Garlic 5 pods
Curry Leaves 2 sprigs
Green Chilli 4
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cook the sprouted moong in a cooker for 1 whistle. I cooked so that the moong still had its shape. You can cook well till it is all mushed up as well.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the Cumin along with chopped garlic, slit green chilli and curry leaves.

3. When it sizzles, add slit onions. Let it cook till it starts to brown.

4. Add tomatoes (finely chopped) and mix and cook till it is well cooked.

5. Add the chilli powder and coriander powder along with some salt. Mix well.

6. Add the cooked green moong dal along with 2 cups of water. I did not have any water left in the cook moong. Reduce if you have.

7. Simmer for some time and garnish with coriander leaves.



Linking this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Julie

21 comments:

  1. Wow wat a nutritious and definitely a fingerlicking fabulous curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious n nutritious curry,Roshni..truly said similar to tomato curry:-)
    Thanx for linking :-)

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my fav tomato curry, very healthy n delicious too...thanks for trying it and for adding the link...i don't know that this is similar to Kerala style curry, i actually done for Priya's event only :) your pics are truly inviting!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roshini,

    Moong dal curry looks mild and neat presentation...
    One request Roshini , in my blog , you have to click cabbage curry URL. It'll go to Lavanya's recipe 's guest post. There you have to drop your comment for my guest post Thank you Roshini , Keep on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious sprout moong curry, I cook normal dal also the same way never tried moong sprout though. Those pics tempt me to try the sprouted moong. Yummyy...


    On Going Event EP Series Basil or Cardamom @Cook-Ezee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb Roshni. Lovely inviting clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy.quick and delicious sprout curry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nutritious and healthy dal.. goes well with chapati..

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy n nutritious curry......

    ReplyDelete
  10. very healthy curry.. as you said very similar to the tomato one.. :)
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. superb looking curry. just love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this curry in the version you have made.. love it with rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very healthy and delicious curry........

    ReplyDelete
  14. delicious curry Roshni..
    I replied in my blog about italy trip dear..
    We didnt hire a car,we took a train from rome to venice which is about 4 hrs :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was searching for a good moong dal recipe & yaay I found a good one :) This looks absolutely delicious & I'm gonna try this with chapati :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teena.. do try and let me know... it works great with chapati.. we all love this curry

      Delete
    2. I tried and it came out really tasty Roshni! Thnx for the recipe :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Teena for the feedback... glad you liked it.. :-)

      Delete