Friday 25 January 2013

Whole Grain Pull apart bread with onion tomato chutney

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine (Radhika) mailed me to say that she was joining a group of bakers who are going to bake a bread every month throughout 2013. 12 breads for the year. I really wanted to do it. But I was not sure if I had the time to do it. Yesterday, all my blogging friends started posting their pull apart breads. I could not sleep the whole night. All I could dream of was those yummy breads. I am surprised I did not start baking in the middle of the night.

I wrote to Aparna today morning and asked if I could join her group. I knew I was late in joining and had my fingers crossed. She was a darling and said yes. Yes, Aparna is the person who is bringing together all 'Bread Bakers' to make 'The Bread of the Month'!!



So here I am! Part of the group of Bread Bakers - We Knead to Bake (totally totally love the name). This month we are baking Pull Apart Bread. Do check out the array of breads posted in this link. You will be bowled by the variety of stuffing and how cute they all look. And I bet you will dream like me and bake with me :-)

Off to the recipe

Ingredients 

For Bread



Whole Grain Bread Flour (you can use APF) 3 cups
Fast Acting Instant Yeast 1 pkt (7gm)
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Garlic Powder 1 tsp
Warm Milk 11/4 cup
Oil for greasing

For the spread (makes about a cup, I used about 1/4 cup for spreading and then some as a spread for the bread while eating)
Onion 1
Tomato 2
Cumin 1 tsp
Green Chilli 1
Rosemary 2 sprigs
Parsley a handful
Oil and Salt to taste

Method of preparation for spread

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and onions. Saute till it is browned a little.

2. Add tomato and green chilli. Cook till tomatoes are done.

3. Switch off and add rosemary and parsley along with some salt.

4. Cool and grind into a smooth paste. Keep ready.


Method of Preparation for the bread



1. In a bowl, take the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. If you are not using fast acting yeast, proof it first

2. Add warm milk and knead well into a smooth dough.

3. Apply some oil on the surface and let it rest for an hour or 2 till the dough rises and is doubled in size.

4. Punch out the air and On a work surface spread the dough into a square.



5. Spread the onion-tomato spread. You can use any spread here. Add cheese if you like.



6. Cut into 5-6 stripes and stack them with the spread side facing up.



7. The cut the strips across to form 5-6 stacks of dough.



8. Grease a bread pan. Arrange the dough with the spread side facing the side of the pan. I had cut the squares very small. So had a lot of small bits left. I just arranged them on the side as well.



9. Cover and let it rest for another hour till it rises again. Brush the top with some milk. (well this is when the clock ticked to 4 and it became dark.. so much for taking photos).



10. Preheat oven to 180C. Bake for about 30-40 minutes. Mine was done in about 33 min.

11. Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then cool in a wire rack for another 10 minutes.

Pull away! Eat away! Hope you enjoy this as much as I did




14 comments:

  1. wow...interesting and healthy bread Roshni! bread have come out so well...lovely bake!! Neat Pics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice combo Rosh but no cheese, bad gal. I hope Neel takes you to task for not giving him cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also should be able to eat right? That's why I made with no cheese

      Delete
  3. love the idea of a mixed whole grain bread. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish i had thought of barley too with the oats flour and i am so in awe of your spread and neat looking pieces. lovely bread and fibre rich too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you not add cheese!!!! That s not fair :D Not at all fair to Neel. :) I like that filling idea by the way Can i have some ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so yummy! Love the addition of tangy tomato chutney...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the idea of whole grain...Healthy one..Adding onion tomato chutney as filling sounds yum..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed a very helthy bread...I want to know one thing is it soft and spongy like other breads using only maida..?( I have never tried using only whole wheat).....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flour I used had flakes and seeds in it. it was not just whole grain flour. so it had the texture of flakes and seeds. Like you buy seeds and grain bread. It was spongy, but not soft...

      Delete
  9. awesome ... one healthy take on the pull apart eh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a healthy take to the awesome loaf

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bread! I like your whole grain twist to it.

    ReplyDelete