Wednesday 8 February 2012

Gobi Gulistan

This is my second month of  Blog Hop Wednesday. As I was going to be out for some part of this month, I asked Radhika to let me know my partner as early as possible. She was a sweetheart and said she will pair with me this month.

I looked at a lot of recipes and wanted to try quite a few of them. I was led to this one cause of the cauliflower sitting in my fridge. I love curries made of Cauliflower. But I sometimes just mess up when I cook it.  I followed the recipe and am glad I picked it.

You can see the original recipe in her site. Only thing I did not do was to bake the cauliflower. I just steamed them and added. It would have been nice and smoky if I baked it, may be next time



Ingredients

Cauliflower 1
Peas 1/4 cup
Onion 3
Tomatoes 6
Cashew 1 tbsp
Poppy Seeds 1 tbsp
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 3 pods
Yogurt  1 cup
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder  2 tsp
Turmeric powder  1/2 tsp
Coriander powder  1 tsp
Garam Masala  1 tsp
Coriander leaves for Garnish

Salt, butter and oil to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cut the cauliflower florets and steam in a steamer or microwave till it is cooked, but is crunchy.

2. Soak the cashews and poppy seeds in hot water for 30 min. Grind into a smooth paste and keep aside.

3. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Saute till it is sligtly browned. Cook and grind into a smooth paste along with the ginger and garlic.

4. Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add the jeera and fennel seeds.

5. When it sizzles, add the onion paste and saute till it is dark brown.

6. Add the cashew and poppy paste and saute for a couple of minutes.

7. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Saute for a couple more minutes.

8. Puree the tomatoes and add to the pan. Cook till it all comes together and oil starts to ooze.

9. Add the curd and bring it to a boil.

10. Add the cauliflower and peas and simmer for a few more minutes.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy with roti or nan.

It took me a little longer than usual dishes. But the taste was worth the effort. The above will easily serve 4-5 people.







12 comments: