Tuesday 19 June 2012

Oven Roasted Chickpeas with Indian Spices

I had soaked some Chick Peas (Channa) to make Chole. Forgot that my husband was travelling last week. So I decided not to make Chole and instead try this roasted chickpeas. I have seen recipes for this a long time ago and had it in my to do list. What better chance than this to try this... I am glad I did. I will be experimenting with flavours in the future. Will post recipes of other combinations that I try.



Ingredients
Cooked Chickpeas 4 cups (about 1.5 cups dried chickpeas)

Seasoning I used

Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Soak Chick peas overnight. Cook in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Make sure you do not mush the peas. That was my biggest scare when I put it in the cooker. Alternatively, you can use canned chickpeas as well. If you canned, drain water and wash well.

2. Once cooked, drain the water. Dry them.

3. Preheat the oven to 200 C. Toss the chickpeas with oil and all the spices that you are using. I was making a very mild snack so that my little one can enjoy. You can add spices to suit your taste. If I were making for myself, I would have added 2 tsp of chilli powder, 1 tsp of coriander and 1 tsp of cumin powder.

4. Layer on a baking tray and cook for 30-40 minutes tossing every 10 minutes. Keep an eye for readiness.

Store in an airtight container and enjoy this super healthy, nut free snack. You can feel happy about giving your child this snack.

For me, nothing better than lazing in the sofa with a book, tea and a healthy snack





Linking this to I love Baking
Linking this to Lets Cook - Kids Special



11 comments:

  1. excellent picture.. loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly made,looks so crunchy and crispy,neat presentation.....feel like grabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfectly made and crunchy ,awesome clicks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice clicks,tempting snack..can munch the whole day dear..Guilt free one!!

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  5. A totally guilt free and healthy snack

    ReplyDelete
  6. really yummy n awesome snack....my sons fav too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time here..blog is nice and I love ur roasted chickpeas..have to try this..

    ReplyDelete