Sunday 24 June 2012

Eggless Mango Cake with Shrikhand and Mango topping

I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!! For anyone wondering what I really did do, it is just that I baked a cake :-) You might wonder what's the big deal. It is a big deal to me cause this is my first cake.

Happy Birthday to the love of my life, my darling, my husband!



A special thanks to the lovely ladies who passed on the recipe to me. I had narrowed down on a Vanilla Sponge Cake for this occasion. I thought that will be the best thing to make as that is the simplest cake and should have been the first cake I tried before all my failed attempts. That was when fate intervened.

My son said he felt like eating mangoes. We were out of mangoes at home. So though I did not plan a trip, we drove to the Indian store and got a box of Mangoes. Sangeetha blogged about a microwave mug mango cake the next day. From her page, I went to the source of her recipe at Shoba's blog. I felt that this is the cake I need to make. Gave it a shot and made a perfect cake. We all loved it.

I first thought of making a butter cream frosting. I did not want to do too many things at the first go. But I did not want it to be served plain as well. That is when the idea struck me. I served it with some Shrikhand. It paired well with the mango and cardamom flavour in the cake.



Now off to the recipe

Ingredients
All Purpose Flour 1 1/4 cup
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
Salt a pinch

Mango Pulp 1 cup. I used 2 small alphonso mangoes
Sugar 3/4 cup. I used powdered sugar
Milk 1/4 cup + 1.5 tbsp
Oil 1/4 cup
Cardamom 3/4 tsp

Chopped Almonds 1 tbsp (I would recommend 2 tbsp)





Method of preparation

1. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.

2. Preheat the oven to 175C. Greese a 7 inch round baking pan and keep ready.

3. In a bowl mix together mango pulp, powdered sugar, milk, oil and cardamon. I used a handheld electric whisk for a minute or 2.

4. Add the flour mix little at a time and blend in slowly. Add the chopped nuts and mix.

5. Pour the mix to the baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes till a cake tester comes out clean.

Serve it topped with some Shrikhand and mangoes.



Recipe for Shrikhand


Ingredients

Curd/Yougurt 500 gm (Made about 1.5 cups of Hung curd)
Sugar 1/2 cup powdered
Cardamom powder 3/4 tsp
Pista 1 tbsp chopped
Almonds 1 tbsp chopped

Method of Preparation

1. Make hung curd from the curd by hanging it from a muslin cloth to remove excess water. I used Greek Yogurt to get a nice thick curd.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients to curd and mix well.

3. Refrigerate and serve.

It would have been good if I made Mango Shrikhand. I did not have enough mangoes. Do check out the recipe for Mango Shrikhand in my precious post.


Linking this to I love Baking
Linking this to Lets Cook - Kids Special
Linking this to EP - Herbs and spices - Basil and Cardamom Event by Julie, hosted by Prathibha






18 comments:

  1. convey my wishes to your hubby :) beautiful cake..

    ReplyDelete
  2. very soft ,flavourful and delicious mango cake and thanks for the eggless version:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your first cake baking success. cake looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats, yummy n lovely cake....loved the topping...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on ur successful attempt.. Cake looks so soft n yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your successful baked cake,yummy n perfect :-)
    Belated birthday wishes to your hubby too!!
    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated birthday wishes to ur better half, your mango cake came out seriously marvellous..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo colourful and lovely cake...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shrikand Mango Cake looks tempting and delicious, perfect bake Roshni with full of flavor :) Birthday wishes to ur hubby.
    Thanks a lot for linking it to EP Series..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Rosh !! Kalakitta !! Hope Chandri had a wonderful birthday !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Roshnu.... Convey our wishes to your hubby......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually,I saw this post soon u posted but dunno h i missed to post my comment, so sorry !!
    Convey my Belated Wishes to your Hubby! Cake looks superb! well baked, it doesn't look like your first bake,come out really good and loved your topping idea...too delicious Roshni!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Roshni, I am so happy that you tried the mango cake and u liked it :) More happy because u stopped by my space to give the feedback :) Thanx a lot :) Cake has turned out so perfect and loved the idea of pairing up with Shrikhand :) cake looks really awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard or eaten Mango Cake...nevertheless it looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi roshni... i made this cake on friday in my pressure cooker... i slightly increased the mango pulp and actually forgot to add the nuts, i remembered at the end so just sprinkled it on the top. i must tell u, that the cake looked beautiful. i kind of enjoyed the beauty for quite some time before eating it... hehe... and the cake was lovely, i served it with some mango yogurt that i had made, and it was really yum... thank u and keep up the good work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback Rafeeda.. I am glad you enjoyed the cake :-) You made my day

      Delete
  16. Hi,
    I made this cake. My batter was quite thick in spite of adding around 6tbsp milk in the end...The cake kinda sunk once it cooled. Where could I be wrong!!!!

    ReplyDelete