Thursday 28 May 2015

Beetroot Parata - Beetroot Roti - Beetroot Flatbread - Vegan

When it comes to eating healthy, we are lucky in our family. We do not have to make any special effort. A lot of things that we love are really healthy stuff. That is not to say we do not like the junk stuff. But you get the idea :-)

Beetroot is a family favourite. So it comes as no surprise that we make it often. I was posting a list of recipes that have beetroot in my Facebook page. At the end of the post, the beetroot craving hit me. I was going to make something from that list. But I suddenly had the urge to make something new and blog. So here you have it.


I make this often, but it is always gone before I can shoot the pics. Today I am glad I was able to plan and shoot the pics.


Ingredients (Makes 7-8)

Beetroot 2-3 (about 1 cup when made into paste)
Mint Leaves 2-3 sprigs
Green Chilli 2
Garlic 1 clove
Salt to taste

Whole Wheat Flour 1 3/4 cups (about 210 gms)

Method of Preparation

1. Peal and chop beetroot into chunks.

2. Add the beets, mint leaves, green chillies, garlic and salt to a mixie (use a food processor or blender). Make a paste of it, making sure there are no chunky bits left.

3. Add that to a bowl. Add the flour to it. Knead well. You might have to add a little water or flour ro adjust the stiffness of the dough cause it all depends on the beetroot and flour.

4. Let it rest for about 30 min (if you don't have time, you can just make it).

5. Divide into 8 lime sized balls.

6. Roll into a thin circle using rolling pin dusting the surface with flour.

7. Heat a flat pan and cook the rolled parata on one side till bubbles start to appear on the surface.

8. Flip and cook on the other side.

9. I place the parata on the flame till it fluffs up (optional step).

10. Repeat for the rest of the dough.

Serve with some yogurt and pickle. Or use any side dish to serve it. You can use this as a wrap as well. You may optionally add some oil/butter while cooking the paratas. I have not used any. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Please add a print button as I cannot lug my computer into the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the colour of the parathas. Looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of adding beetroot to roti. Next time I will make these for dinner. I am sure my husband will lile it for a change. :-)

    ReplyDelete