Friday 17 January 2014

Carrot Rice - Kids Lunch Box 2

Rice is a super easy item to pack in lunch box. I usually cook the rice ahead of time (read, there will be some rice from the dinner or from what is made for lunch). So the job here is to just make the variety rice. In this case, the smaller the portion size means the work will be done in no time.

The Lunch - Carrot rice, Orange juice, Yogurt, Orange and Cheddar cheese.



An important thing that I would like to share with you here is the use of Thermos to pack lunch in. I recently got myself a themos and life has changed beyond imagination. My little is super excited that his rice was warm when he ate and he ate more than he usually does. So if you live in a cold country like me (or even otherwise), please do yourself a favour and get a hot pack. This is what I got. (This is just a personal recommendation).

For the rice, you can add any spice you like. Biriyani Masala, Garam Masala etc go well. I make mine plain cause that is the way my little one likes it.

Ingredients

Small Carrots 2
Channa dal 1/4 tsp
Cumin a pinch
Turmeric Powder a pinch
Cooked Rice a little over 1/4 cup
Oil and Salt to taste

Lemon Juice (optional)

Method of Preparation

1. Peal the carrots and chop into small pieces. Microwave for 2-3 min till cooked.

2. Heat a little oil. Add the channa dal. When it starts to brown, add cumin seeds, turmeric.

3. When it sizzles, add cooked carrots and salt. You can add some spices as well at this stage.

4. Add the rice. Mix well.

5. Add lemon juice (a small splash) if using.

Other ingredients that add to the taste are peanuts and/or cashews which can be added to oil before cumin. But ours is a nut free school. So I avoid it. Other options are to add curry leaves, green chilies etc if preferred.

3 comments:

  1. carrot rice is my all time favorite, mum used to add grated carrots, beans and also egg :) makes me drool

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so flavorful and yum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one for a kids lunch.. so healthy

    ReplyDelete