Wednesday 7 November 2012

Muringayila thoran - Drumstick leaf stir fry

Muringa ila (drumstick leaf) is one of my childhood favourites. We had a tree in the house and this would make its way to the table atleast once a month.

Why not more frequently? Good question. It is the effort required to pluck the leaves from the stem. There are short cuts like putting them in a bag and letting it sit overnight. The leaves kind of fall off. But it still needs effort to weed off small sticks that make their way to the pile.

I always kept thinking that it was something I can eat only in India. Recently I got into this discussion in a FB page and a friend of mine told me about how she gets it in UK. I was like where, i have never seen it? She said in Hounslow, Best foods. I could not believe it. That is where I buy my Indian Grocery and in the last 2+ years it never occoured to me to ask. This time when I went, I got myself a bunch.

The only sad part is a bunch does not make much curry. Just a cup full.. But we all enjoyed it. Even my little one.

Mind you for those who have never eaten it - it has a slight bitter taste. Not the bitter guard kind of bitter. But a sweetish kind. Do try it if you are new to it. And those who have eaten it know what it is when I say - it is the best green in the world.



Ingredients

Muringa Ila 1 bunch (about 3-4 cups)
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Coconut 1/2 cup
Green Chilli 1
Curry Leaf few

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Separate the leaves from the stem and wash, drain and keep the leaves ready.

2. In a pan, add some oil. Add mustard.

3. When it sputters, add the urad dal.

4. When it browns, add the leaves. Toss it and cook in low flame for a few minutes.

5. In the meanwhile, pulse coconut, green chilli, curry leaf and cumin seeds.

6. Add to the leaves along with some salt. Mix well.

7. Cook for a few more minutes till it is all done. Check if it is cooked. It takes less than 10 minutes to cook.

Serve as a side for sambar or rasam rice. I made a simple dal and enjoyed this as a side for that along with some yummy pickles. Perfect dinner!

7 comments:

  1. wow...my fav too...Delicious thoran!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is good for people with jaundice.. i skip coconut and add powdered peanuts to it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thoran...It does take a while to separate the leaves from the stems...but the end result is worth it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kaveri,the cleaning part is a bit tedious but a real healthy & delicious one:)
    Join my ongoing EP events-Asafoetida OR Fennel seeds @ Divya's Culinary Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fav!!! Unluckily we don't get these leaves here..

    ReplyDelete