Thursday 13 March 2014

Karadayan Nombu - Festival Description and Recipes

This year date/time 14-03-2014 @7:30 P.M

Karadayan Nombu is a festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu. It falls on the 1st day of the month of Panguni (March - April). Women fast on that day from Sunrise till the time when the month of Maasi changes to the month of Panguni. At that time, they offer prayer and tie yellow sacred thread on their neck. They also offer Sweet Nombu Adai and Butter as neivedhyam. They pray for the long life of their husband. When they tie the tread around the neck, they pray

"Urugatha Vennayum Oraduyum Vaithu Nmbu Nothren
Oru Naalum En Kanavan Ennai Vittu Piriyamal Irukkavendum"

Meaning :I have fasted offering unmelted butter and adai. My husband should not be separated from me ever



Neivedhyam - Vettilai, manjal, paakku, pazham and the yellow thread with a flower tied to it, along with adai and butter.

The festival is celebrated with the story of Sathyavan and Savithri in mind. Savithri is a princess who chose to marry Sathyavan, a forest dweller (who was the son on an ex-kng who lost all his wealth) knowing that he had just 1 year to live. At the end of 1 year, when yama comes to claim sathyavan, savithri follows him to the doors of death. Yama seeing her determination gives her 3 boons to get rid of her. She cannot ask for his life. She asks that her father in law be restored his kingdom, her father have a son and she could bear Sathyavan's child. So Yama lets Sathyavan live. 

Though I do not do many fasting (read do not do any fasting), I am somehow very attached to this festival. We got married in Feb 2006. This is my 7th  Nombu. I still remember the first one, the timing of which was at 8:30 in the night. I fasted without eating or drinking water. Though many ppl are liberal about the eating or drinking, I stick to it. I guess cause this is the only one I do with all my heart. How romantic :-). This year we got away easy. It was in the morning. I was feeling like I have not done anything. I missed being with my husband today. Sad we are countries apart.

Recipe for Sweet Nombu Adai.
Recipe for Salt Nombu Adai Uppadai. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Roshni, thanks for visiting my blog. Loved reading about this festival. Hope you get reunited with your husband soon :-) Your new follower Suchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Nombu, wonderful post with nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Roshni, such a sweet post! Get back soon, I am sure Chandri misses you too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously how romantic..fasting :).. wow! I wrote a similar post too..

    Ongoing Event: I'm a STAR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I am from TamilNadu, we have not practiced this. Is it something like belongs to a particular community or anybody can follow for the sake of husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Akila, I am not too sure. we are brahmnins and we practice this. may be it is a brahmin thing :-) But if it were me, I would follow all customs if it feels right to my heart

      Delete
  7. Though I am from TamilNadu, we have not practiced this. Is it something like belongs to a particular community or anybody can follow for the sake of husband?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roshni..You have a wonderful blog and all the recipes are very delicious.
    Do visit my new blog
    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved to know about the nombu..

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely post! I loved the kozhkattai :D

    although, every nombu I argue with mom abt the injustice. why should women fast for husbands when the latter do nothing for women?! you don't see them fasting to get good wives or not to separate from wives ever.. then why us! :-/ but I guess its different when you're married

    ReplyDelete
  11. This festival is completely new to me. Nice post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete