Thursday 14 February 2013

Dilwala Dal - A dal with a heart - Channa Dal with Dil leaves

Quirky name? Ha? Just thought will present this to you on Valentine's day! I picked up dil leaves for the first time ever... oh well was thrust upon me by a over friendly salesman in our Indian shop... He even suggested I make dal with dil leaves telling me how his bhabi made it the day before and how much he loved it..

I came home and googled to make sure that dil does go well with dal. To my surprise, it was a popular recipe. We all really enjoyed it.



Ingredients

Channa Dal 1.5 cups
Dil leaves 3/4 cup chopped
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala 1 tsp
Onions 1

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions and let it cook.

2. When it starts to brown, add the chopped dil leaves and saute for a couple of minutes.

3. Add chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala along with some salt. Mix well.

4. Cook the channa dal (it should hold its shape). Drain (retain a little water). Add to the pan. Add a little bit of the water as well.

5. Mix and cook for a few more minutes and switch off.

Serve with some rotis. 

8 comments:

  1. wow!!I like this appearance...looks so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried Dil et...The dil dal sounds and looks good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple comforting food, great side... Happy Valentines Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice combo, looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  5. great combo
    http://www.dailychoresrecorded.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete