Saturday 7 July 2012

Spinach Moong Dal Stir Fry

OK, let me start this post by saying this is by far the best spinach dish that I have eaten. I do not hate spinach, neither do I love it. But this dish, I just could not stop eating. My husband asked me if he got any of those special spinach varieties that we get in India. it tasted so different and amazing. I assured him it is just the bag of spinach from the supermarket. Do I need to say more.

Though I have seen many people post this recipe, I missed book marking any. I used the Recipe Source : Vah re Vah.



Ingredients

Spinach 4 packed cups chopped
Yellow Split Moong Dal 1 cup
Onions 3 sliced
Garlic 5 pods
Ginger 1/2 inch piece grated
Curry Leaves few
Green Chilli 4
Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tbsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the moong dal in water for 30 minutes.

2. Chop the spinach. Slice the onions. Roughly chop the garlic. Slit or cut the green chillies

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the urad dal. When it starts to brown, add the green chillies and garlic. After a few seconds, add the onions.

4. When the onion browns, add the curry leaves and moong dal (drained). Saute till the dal is roasted.

5. Add the chopped spinach, pepper and some salt. Mix well. Cook till the spinach is all cooked and all the water that oozes out of spinach is evaporated. Do not cover and cook. Moong dal will also get cooked by this time and will have a nice crunchy texture.

Serve with rotis.

Linking this to Magic Mingle #7
Linking this to Show me your hits - lentils and legumes. Event by Sangee, hosted by Nalini

13 comments:

  1. With loads of moongdal,am damn sure this stir fry tastes awesome..Healthy dish definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so healthy and delicious..loved your version..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi roshni first time here glad to follow you. The dal looks healthy and yummy. We make the same kind with methi leaves. DO visit my space in ur free time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Pairing Roshini.....superb

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a healthy packed side dish I love this really.., I add Moongdal to most of my stir-fry's because of MIL's & Mom's influence..

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the green and moong dal combinations..i use it often

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the combo. very healthy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to try this one, because the main ingredients on this recipe is the spinach which is my favorite. I will now go to the market and buy some ingredients of this interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete