Saturday 3 December 2011

Kothamalli (coriander) Thogayal with Koorka Stir fry

Couple of days ago, I had a very lazy day. I just did not feel like cooking anything. So I just made something really quick and simple. And for those following my blog, I don't need to remind you of the coriander bunches sitting in my fridge. So I made simple thogayal to go with rice. This can be eaten as a side for idli or dosa. I really love it with my dosa. Or can be used as a layer in a sandwich.

We had it with koorka (chinese potato) mizhukkuvaratti (malayalam word for stir fry). For those who do not know what koorka is check out the wiki link on Koorka. It is my favorite root vegetable. It is very popular in Kerala and is highly addictive. It is a small root and it is difficult to clean and peal. But luckily I discoved in a Patel Brothers store when we were in US, that it is sold in frozen form in a packet called 'Chinese Potato'. There is nothing Chinese about these as far as I know. It is very seasonal in India also. Available only for a couple of months a year. So you know my excitement when I saw in the store. I think I nearly did a tap dance in the frozen isle.


Ingredients

Coriander leaf 3 cups loosely packed. i used a big bunch.
Coconut 1/2 cup
Whole pealed Urad dal 1/2 cup
Channa dal 1 tbsp
Pepper 1 tsp
Red Chillies 5
Tamarind paste 1/2 tsp
Salt 1 tsp (to taste)

Oil a little

Method of Preparation

1. Separate the coriander leaf from the stem and wash well. Dry the leaves.

2. Heat oil in a pan and roast the urad dal and channa dal. When they start to brown, add the pepper and chillies.


3. Grind the above mix with coriander leaves, tamarind paste, coconut and salt into a coarse paste adding enough water. This should be thick paste.


It is usually mixed with rice and eaten with a dry curry (optional).

Method for Koorka Stir Fry

Just heat some oil - add mustard and turmeric powder. Add koorka and cook well. Add some chilli powder and salt. Cook like you would make potatoes. My aim of mentioning the vegetable here was to introduce to people who have not eaten it and share memories with people who love it like I do.



This is my son's dinner plate. Had to fight with him to take a photo. He likes his sanam with vegetables (he means sadam - rice), yogurt and potttuuuu kadalai (fried gram dal). Eats the 3 in a rotation. He called the Thogayal - Hohahail.




9 comments:

  1. da, is it not available in your Indian Store?? A company called Daily Delights makes Frozen Koorka by name Chinese Potatoes. Ask your Indian store guy to get it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm,healthy and colourful Thick Cutney Dear.Luv it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum,healthy thogayal,koorka fry looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roshni,

    Thank you for stopping by SUMADHURA.You must now be able to add the MLLA#42 logo.By the way you have a wonderfil blog too.Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both these preparations looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey - your Koorka fry looked so good that I almost did a tap dance when I saw chinese potato in the frozen aisle. Hoping to try it this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anusha, if you are using frozen, it is usually fully cooked. I just stick it in microwave for a few minutes till it is warm. Then put tadka and toss it around for a couple of minutes with salt and chilli powder. you cannot roast it like the fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete