Tuesday 4 December 2012

Milagu Adai - Karthigai adai

Milagu Adai or Karthigai Adai is one of the neivedhyams prepared for Karthigai. My Mom and MIL don't make it. It is a tradition I learned in the internet and thought of trying this time. It was a really good varaition of the regular adai. I used the recipe idea from this site.


Do try the other adai recipes as well from my blog.
Adai
Oats Adai
Adai Paniyaram




Ingredients

Raw Rice 1.5 cups
Urad dal 1/2 cup
Toor dal 1/2 cup
Channa dal 1/2 cup
Pepper 1 tsp
Hing 1/8 tsp
Salt

Optional
coconut and curry leaves

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the rice and dals together for a few hours.

2. Grind into a coarse paste, along with the pepper, hing and salt adding enough water.

3. Add coconut and curry leaves. I skipped it.

4. Pour a laddle into a hot dosa pan and spread like you would for a dosa. Add a little oil. Cook on one side. Once done, turn and cook on the other side.

Serve with chutney or molaga podi. Adai tastes great with jaggery as well.

Can you see the grains of pepper in the click below. Loved the peppery adai. And note that is it lighter in colour than regular adai.





Linking this to Sangeetha's Show me your HITS - Festive Food hosted in my blog.



10 comments:

  1. Yummy Adai...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. adai always a staple n healthy food

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of Red and Green chillies, they have used pepper.. This is a new recipe for me too.. my mom also makes it the other way.. like a regular adai with curry leaves, redchillies and green chillies.. This one looks good.. will try. you can use onion chutney with this.. a very good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i make adai with red chilies but this version s nice with the addition of pepper... slurp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anu, i also make with red chillies. this is a new version I learned and the combination of rice/dal is also slightly different.. a nice variety and change from regular adai

      Delete
  5. Woww... mouth watering here.. Such a delicious and aromatic adai.. looks fantastic.. thanks for sharing :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous, been ages i had this adai.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a coincidence, I made adai just yesterday, will probably post it later. I love adai with red/green chili or black pepper

    ReplyDelete